Sign in with
Your question

IRQ Conflicts With Newly Installed 8400GS?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2009 8:37:07 PM

Hello and Thanx for your time,

HP a1100y
XP Pro sp2
Pentim 4 650 [3.4Ghz]
2Gb DDR2

Installed a cheap NVIDIA 8400gs as a final minor "upgrade" to this old HP Desktop, the onboard Intel graphics were hitching a bit when running PS and such (not a gamer, just wanted cleaner rendering).

The PCI card went in smoothly and appears to be working just fine except; there's an "!" next to the PCI Express Root Port in the Device manager, with this caveat:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Like I said, I'm not experiencing any performance issues (my photo-editing pet peeves have evaporated) but would still like to fix this.

I've tried: disabling/uninstalling the onboard graphics, moving the PCI card, clearing BIOS/CMOS, disabling some familiar but unnecessary items [secondary IDE, parallel ports, printing ports, etc], updated all drivers and BIOS (was already current).

I seems that I've got a few too many items lumped together on IRQ 19

...however it's the Express Root Port on IRQ 10 that's giving me the warning - I'm stumped.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated,
Gumby
March 27, 2009 12:21:52 PM

Did you try a clean install of windows?
March 27, 2009 6:24:01 PM

Thanks for taking time to reply, but...

No, I have not.

I know that a reinstall would likely move some priorities around, but I just finished with a fresh install last month and installing all my apps, etc.

Anyone have an idea other than "tear down and rebuild"?
March 29, 2009 7:12:32 AM

I've since disabled the problem device (Express Root Port) and have no apparent symptoms.

Have no idea if I need it, but so far - so good.
!