Sign in with
Your question

First overclock attempt

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2010 4:15:18 PM

Hi Guys!

I just had my first attempt at overclocking and my system appears to be stable. I was hoping if I posted my specs and overclocked speeds you guys could give some advice of what I could tweak further as I fear I am pushing my RAM too far but I also feel I could get more out of my system.

System Specs:

ASUS P6T Motherboard
ASUS EAH5850 Graphics Card
Intel core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67Ghz
6 gig triple channel Corsair 1333Mhz ram
Windows 7 64bit

I have overclocked too:

BCLK @ 180 with CPU ratio @ 20 giving me a CPU speed of 3.6Ghz

My RAM is running at 9-9-9-24 so with a BLCK setting of 180 that gives me a speed of (9 x 180 right?) 1620Mhz (not sure if that is correct, CPU-Z says my DRAM frequency is at 720Mhz so I am not sure what is going on there, if someone could explain it to me that would be great!)

I will quickly run through the rest of my BIOS settings also so hopefully that will help you guys:

PCIE: 100
DRAM: DDR3-1523Mhz
UCLK: 3047Mhz
QPI link: 6857Mt/s

CPU Voltage: 1.3
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.88
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.3

Ai overclocking timer is set to manual

The rest I left on auto

I stress tested it with Prime95 in small FFTs and my CPU temperature appeared to stabilize around 80C however i only left it running for about 15 mins.

I have a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 fan cooler on my CPU

The reason I am doing this is too boost my graphics settings on Final Fantasy 14 as I heard it was quite CPU intensive, however running the official FF14 benchmark at stock setting i scored 4238 and after overclocking I only scored 4304 which isn't a huge difference so I was hoping I could push it further.

Any advice you guys could give on further increasing speeds would be greatly appreciated and also advice as to whether I am pushing my RAM to hard. This is the first time I have tried anything like this and I did a lot reading before I attempted it so if I have stated anything wrong please correct me.

Thanks very much!

More about : overclock attempt

October 1, 2010 4:26:00 PM

I'm no overclocking expert so I'm sure other peeps here will be able to give you better advice, but CPU temps at 80C?? that's why too high, I'm surprised your PC didn't shut down automatically to prevent overheating damage. Are you still OC'ing with the stock cooler? Maybe you should try lowering those temperatures before attempting any further overclocking.
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:31:41 PM

Hi thanks for the reply,

I have the Noctura cooler on, if 80C is too high should I maybe drop the CPU voltage?

The CPU runs at around 40-45C while just watching movies and web browsing.

m
l
October 2, 2010 11:27:01 AM

I think my understanding of the RAM multiplier was wrong, does it go off the BCLK x some other specific RAM multiplier that isn't actually given in the BIOS, as in BIOS just gives you a set of RAM frequencies to choose from that have already been calculated to be multiples of the BCLK? In that case i think i am running my RAM at 1443 with no voltage tweak so I guess that is ok??

help, anybody?
m
l
!