Which would make my computer smoother

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Upgrading memory won't benefit you, unless you're already using Vista64, WinXP 64 or Win7 64.

If you're still using XP, or Vista32, then go for the SSD.

A quality 750W should handle 2 GTX 275. You'd only need more if you plan on triple SLI.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
im running 64bit win7 and whenever I play crysis for long periods of time my memory usage is like 2.95/3GB and I get lots of freezes so I think I need to upgrade my ram.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
depending on your existing harddrive speed the the ssd will improve the overall smoothness of your computer. the HDD is generally the biggest bottleneck in any given system. my 2 cents - go with the ssd.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Wait...yours SSD will not improve your game performance...when you open up an application, the Hard Drive loads the files into your RAM so your RAM will affect your performance, the hard drive will just help load the levels a bit faster but wont affect your performance and FPS of 3d applications or even any applications. Your best bet is to get more ram, and spend some extra $ if you are already buying for some fast ram (1600mhz) .

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

ugh... an ssd will improve game performance with improved load times. the ram -> cpu is not the bottleneck the hdd -> ram -> cpu is. 3 gigs is fine for traditional usage, 6 is a bit overkill unless you do heavy heavy multitasking. an ssd will improve everything that requires loading (which is everything). boot times, application load up, level loads etc etc will all be improved. ram is not an issue here.

4745454b

Titan
Correct Werxen, but is that his problem? A fast SSD will help load the level, but what is the OP complaining about?

whenever I play crysis for long periods of time my memory usage is like 2.95/3GB and I get lots of freezes

This seems to me to be his problem. The question now is why does he get freezes after playing for a long time. Not enough ram? Memory leak in the game? Bad memory management for either windows or the memory on the GPU? (this last one isn't likely.) If Crysis is the only thing that causes this issue, I would say the issue is a memory leak or bad memory management for the game. Adding more memory can help, but its a game issue. Saving and exiting then restarting the game will probably be a better fix.

G

Memory ! 3Gb is easy to overstretch, have 3.35gb available from 4gb vista 32bit and it hits 3gb threshold easy in crysis, 3.2 gb to be exact, but that is with 81 processes running, try killing any unused processes to free up some ram and see how it goes, have found Vista able to game on as few as 58 processes including Anti-Virus (Avast) still running!

Edit: Win 7 64 bit , not sure how stable crysis runs on this, maybe others have similar problem?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Ugh...if you read carefully on my post, i said that it will; improve load times and stuff. And if you read carefully my post I said that the RAM will affect the actual performance of applications, i didn't say it will affect how fast they will open or load, because thats the Storage drives job. Once the Storage Drive loads up the the applicaiton into the ram, it no longer affects anything, the application is ON THE RAM, and is RUNNING from the RAM and NOT the STORAGE DRIVE

TRENDING THREADS