Sign in with
Your question

How to retrieve after overclocking mistake

Last response: in Overclocking
October 1, 2010 6:35:04 PM

Hi, After recently purchasing new software, I was adivised that my graphics card (although relatively new) wasnt ideal for the job. I checked out some forums and overclocking was suggested, I got some bad advice regarding overclocking in Bios. I set things probably too high and a very silly mistake since after saving the changes the sytem did not boot. I cannot get the system to boot at all now it seems. I am wondering if there is a way to reset things or enter safe mode. I am doubtful since I am not getting any boot at all.....Is there a way to resolve this and save my PC? My motherboard is amd. I hope this is the correct subsection....pls help :( 
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 6:44:24 PM

First thing you want to do is unplug the computer from the wall. Next, inside the case there should be a battery ( looks like a large watch battery) on the motherboard, pull it out. Close by the battery there should be three pins, two of which are covered by a piece of plastic, move it to the opposite position, covering the two pins on the opposite side. Now wait a minute... Put the piece of plastic back to the original setting, place the battery back in the motherboard, close the case, and plug it in. That should have reset things to default and allowed you to boot.
October 1, 2010 7:37:09 PM

great, I ll try that now..I was afraid a new processor was in order. Thx for the advice....I knew this would be a good site when I read some of the posts :) 
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 7:58:59 PM

Unplugging the battery and jumping the CMOS should do the same thing, really. If the battery isn't in, the jumpers won't have power so AFAIK that wouldn't really do anything.
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:01:33 PM

cool, good luck, let me know how it goes
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:04:49 PM

I was always told to take out the battery, and then "short the jumpers". My understanding is that there can still be built up energy in the system until you "short" the jumpers. I could be wrong, anyway can't hurt him I guess.
October 1, 2010 8:05:48 PM

just done it, thx loads man... the pins werent beside the battery but I found them ok..you're a star ;) 
a b K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:07:45 PM

Good deal, glad it worked
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 8:10:14 PM

Good stuff! Just make sure you try reading up a bit on overclocking your system, steps you should take and maybe possible voltage guidlines...
October 1, 2010 8:24:26 PM

yea will do, lesson learned the hard way... i dont think overclocking in bios is what i need anyway...whats needed is a way to overclock my graphics card...its an ati and i downloaded some ati tools but it wont let me change the defaults....guess i need to get an nvidia for compatibility or somethin. thx everyone for all the help...great site.
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 1, 2010 10:07:39 PM

Check out MSI Afterburner. It's a great OC program. Just make sure you go into the config file and change "allow unofficialoverclocking =" from 0 to 1. Also, in CCC, "unlock" the card in ATI Overdrive.

Run either Kombuster or FurMark for stability testing. Try increasing the memory clock first by about 25mhz at a time, if the test looks choppy it's too high and not that stable, worst case it'll crash/freeze/grey screen just reset and try again lower. Basically do the same for core speed but maybe go up by 50mhz as you can usually clock the core a bit higher. Artifacts will occure if the core is too high.

Also, a good program for monitoring temps aside from Afterburner you should get GPUZ. It has monitoring for all the sensors on the GPU not just 1 core temp. The key is to not let any of them go over 110C
!