Whole computer problem

DontLookAway

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi, I'm new to the forum so I didn't really know where this should go.

I've been having major problems with an AMD system I own, a few weeks ago my USB ports stopped working. I cannot access the computer at all because during system start I get told there is a keyboard failure. At first I thought it would be the motherboard as an issue. So, I switched out the board for an exact one brand new to no avail. Next I tried to change the power supply thinking it wasn't getting enough power for the USB ports to function. This also had no effect. Last thing I tried just today was switching the processor in it. Unfortunately this did not work either. I can't give you much information on the computer besides specs since I cannot boot the OS but if anyone knows of a way to fix this, I would be more than greatful.

Thanks

[Vista]
Dell Dimension 530
2048MB RAM
AMDx2 2.7Ghz processor

[I can't enter BIOS so I can't change anything there either]

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Are you getting a display at all on your monitor? Tried swapping out the gfx card? Does it POST? (the beep when you turn your comp on). How old is it? Check all cables are plugged in securely (e.g. power cable to mobo etc), does your hdd spin up on switch on? Have you added any extra fans or similar on a psu cable?
These are some of the things worth knowing off the top of my head.
AC

DontLookAway

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
No problems with display, like I said its purely a problem of the USB ports not working. I can start the pc but I get a keyboard failure notice. It does not give any POST errors, it's 3 yrs old. Everything is plugged in, no HDD problems, no new hardware except what was added to remedy this error. Two years of IT tech training hasn't helped me. I have no clue what's wrong with it. It can't be the drivers for the USB devices because i'm using PnP devices. Even if it was the drivers I can't fix that because of my inability to boot.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Hi Dont,
what a bastard! So your usb ports are not working on 2 seperate mobo's is that right? Also (possibly a learning point for me) how do you know you have no hdd probs?
I know you have probably tried this but have you swapped keyboards? One of my old computers would not boot unless the keyboard was plugged in and working but we are talking >10 years ago...
You have basically changed everything bar hdd and gfx card and it is unlikely that a new mobo is faulty with exactly the same problem no?
I am intrigued and await a solution from somewhere......
Good luck
AC

G

Get a ps2 keyboard or ps2/ubs converter and try booting with that plugged in, sounds like your bios has reset and usb2 mouse and keyboard support has been disabled, once ps2 keyboard plugged in go into bios and check to see if this is the case

DontLookAway

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Well nail that one as wrong, I finally fixed it. It was the front USB/Audio controller. I had to remove a shorted USB port on the front, and now everything works fine. :) Problem solved. Thanks for the support I guess? I used 4 dif keyboards btw AC so I knew the problem wasn't drivers/boards. Plus the USB ports received power but did not recognize devices. And were you calling me a bastard? If so I doubt I will be coming back to this forum for help on comp issues. Problem solved.

ac3144

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009

Whoa! I wasn't calling you a bastard, the situation was a bastard. I was only trying to suggest things that sometimes are not obvious when the problem is right in front of you. I dislike the tone of your last post alot. If you knew it wasn't a keyboard issue, why didn't you say explicitly? I suspect you are just being awkward for the sake of it, as I can't believe someone could be so daft as to misread my post.

You sound to me like you are pissed off because you have '2 years of IT training' and had to post on here for help because you couldn't sort it for yourself. I for one hope you don't bother to come back although I suspect you may need to given your technical competence...

Good day Sir.
AC