System Reset and Athlon 2600+ Temp

sodburybungy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I'm a bit worried about my workhorse PC. It's a self built Athlon 2600+ (running at stock 1.9 Ghz ish - I'm not an overclocker - too worried about blowing my hard earned cash up!) on a Gigabyte GA-7N400E(-L) mobo. It's always beeped when it's pushed hard, and I fitted 1 intake fan and 1 outtake fan to the cases measley 1 exit fan. This seemed to keep it at bay until now. I was tagging some photos in Photoshop Elements when it started beeping - then it did something it's not done before. It flippin' reset - twice.

Using the Gigabyte Easy Tune s/w I found the CPU temp was flashing at 62 deg C. It is hot today mind - 24 deg in my house.

I checked online for the max operating temperature for the CPU and it seems to be a die temp of 85deg C. I haven't checked Bios yet but I think it's set to the same as the easytune s/w at 60 deg C (Bios options are 60, 70, 80 and disabled). I've ordered a new cooler to be on the safe side but here's the questions:-

1. What is the max op temp of the 2600+?
2. What's the optimum (best) temperature?
3. Do my symptoms sound like a CPU Overheat problem?
4. Would changing the Bios to 70 deg C, stop the resets, but more importantly is it the safe thing to do?

Any help appreciated - I've just moved all my files onto this PC as my other was getting slow (This PC is my old gaming PC), and I'd hate to lose the CPU after all that hard transfer work.

Cheers

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
When a system beeps once it means all is ok.

Any other beep sequence is associated with an error condition.

Take note of the beep sequence your system returned and look it up.
Find out who wrote the bios for your mobo and run a search for its bios error codes (beeps).

Unless the system is more then 2 years old you will not need new heat sink compound
installed. A work PC should be cleaned at least once a month. If you smoke, quit.
Nicotine turns electronics greasy and makes them run hotter.

The reset could also be caused by a power supply going bad. Or even a power fall
off in your neighborhood. Tis the season for Air Conditioners, right?

If you have a volt meter you can test the power supply yourself. I recommend you
test the ac outlet first, then plug your PC cord in and test that, then plug the cord in your Power supply
and test the P8/P9 connectors.

Be thorough, something maybe over looked.

When power supplies go bad sometimes they fry the system. I change mine out every
5 years.

e

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

After reading your post I had to check and see if I still had that old cpu [Athlon] still laying around,surely did,,wow!!.
Anyhow moving on,disable the temp control in your bios..
There is nothing that you can do that will hurt or overheat that cpu if you are not overclocking,but you will get constant agro from it being too low,,as you are finding out right now and it will only get worse.
Cpu's are not meant to be babied,as long as your case is reasonably clean with good air flow you should/will have no real problems,,
Again as mentioned above you should do just fine with the oem hsf combo,hell I remember overclocking my old Athlon cpu's with the oem hsf,not very much mind you,just enough to give the system a little snap as it were,and this system is has always,and always will be primarily for gaming..:)

TripGun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Heat kills, eventually at those operating temps, it will die. Heat is what shortens the their life, not overclocking. Invest in a better $10 cooler.

sodburybungy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys. The beeps I'm hearing are more like pips (half beeps) than proper system beeps - and they're random, so the list I have in my Bios docs is not much use. I reckon it's got to be a heat issue as since I've had the case side off and directed the desk fan at it, all has been well.

Idle temp has always been around 60 deg C - speaking to a colleague at work, he thinks that's a little high and I just wonder if I didn't do the best job of installing the cooler and thermal paste when I built it. I checked my Bios settings and they're at 70 deg C, so I'm guessing that if it is the processor causing the reset then it must have been exceeding 70. At the moment it's on 59 with the desk fan.

The power supply was a standard one which came with the (cheapish) case, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is a factor though. It's about 2 years old - I'll check it out.

I've still got my old workhorse PC ready to switch back on if necessary and I've got a shiny new Core I7 machine coming soon (I begged the wife :ouimaitre: ), but in the meantime I have ordered a new cooler.

I'll let you know how it goes.