First overclock

bcomputinyo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello all,

I'm about 2 hours into Prime95 on my first overclock here.

Have a Q6600 G0 CPU with an AC7 Pro Cooler on a Gigabyte P35 Mobo.

I am currently at 3.1 ghz and temps according to everest ultimate are showing about 46 for the cpu and between 52 and 56 for the cores 1-4.

So question is, how do these temps look for the Q6600? Do i have a bit more pull here in increasing the speed?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Like DJ said, if those temps are load temps, they are very good. You may have won the CPU lottery and received aQ6600 with an unusually low VID.

Depending on your CPU VID, you will reach the thermal limits of an ACF7P at around 3.2 - 3.3 GHz. I know. That's the first after market cooler I bought.

If the CPU chip can go to 3.6 GHz, you will need something like a TRUE or Xig Dark Knight.

If your memory settings are on Auto, you are quite likely limiting your overclock. Go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Clock from Auto to 2.00.
Like DJ said, if those temps are load temps, they are very good. You may have won the CPU lottery and received aQ6600 with an unusually low VID.

Depending on your CPU VID, you will reach the thermal limits of an ACF7P at around 3.2 - 3.3 GHz. I know. That's the first after market cooler I bought.

If the CPU chip can go to 3.6 GHz, you will need something like a TRUE or Xig Dark Knight.

If your memory settings are on Auto, you are quite likely limiting your overclock. Go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Clock from Auto to 2.00.

Solution

bcomputinyo

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
The temps are on load, which it sounds like is pretty nice, yes! Currently I have the system mem clock at 2.00. I'm running it at 9 multiplier and 345 fsb for a 3.1 clock.

It ran stable for 15 hours straight with no errors in Prime95 yesterday with the same above mentioned temps. I may try for 3.3-3.4. Might have to bump up a notch on the cooler like you said.

Thanks for the info!