Radeon 4850 won't overclock

hanleychan

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Hi,
I have a Powercolor Radeon HD 4850 512MB video card. When I try to overclock using the ATI Overdrive on Catalst Control center, the settings that I choose automatically go back to the default settings when I click apply. I tried using the drivers from both powercolor.com and ati.com and they are both the same.

If I click on Test Custom Clocks..., the test never completes. It just says Result: Testing forever.

What is causing this?

hanleychan

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
You didnt leave the test running long enough to finish. If you watch you can see every few seconds during the test it rasies the core and memory frequency.
When you move the sliders, does it say the new frequency to the right? At the bottom it says current values and they show stock right?
Well its not going to run at overclock speeds when your on the internet, it has a power saving feature. When you run a game it will up the frequency again.

Hi,
I left the test on for about half hour and the core and memory wasn't changing at all. It stayed at the default speeds. When I move the sliders and click apply, the slider position automatically moves back to default.

jennyh: I tried using rivatuner, but I couldn't get it to work on Windows Vista. It said something about unsigned drivers. I'll try ATI tray tools when I get home tonight.

hanleychan

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Still need help with this. I tried reinstalling vista and that didn't work.

After that I tried installing windows xp. On ATI overdrive, the settings would again reset when I hit accept. I tried using rivatuner in xp and it works with that.