Sign in with
Your question

Is it ok to leave my computer running 24/7?

Last response: in Systems
March 2, 2009 4:55:46 PM

Just put together a homebuilt system built around a Q6600 cpu. Is it better to leave my computer running 24/7 or turn it off when not in use?

More about : leave computer running

March 2, 2009 5:04:52 PM

I don't think it matters.
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2009 5:13:41 PM

As log as the system is properly cooled leaving it on 24/7 doesn't matter except the cost of energy. I set my Vista systems to 'shutdown monitor' then 'sleep' after a period time. Touch the mouse and the system comes up full power instantly.
Related resources
March 2, 2009 5:21:36 PM

if you are constantly downloading content from the internet, you can just turn off the monitor and the video card and leave the disk´s on. the cpu wont get hurt if you have good refrigeration because when in idle it will down throttle.
March 2, 2009 5:25:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I have a antec 300 with 2 120mm intake fans in the front, 1 120mm exhaust fan in the back and 1 120mm exhaust fan on the top. Also using a Xigmatek S-1283 heatsink for the cpu.
March 2, 2009 5:38:09 PM

With that much air circulation you'll be totally fine.
March 2, 2009 5:44:36 PM

does the answer to leave on or shut down change if oc cpu or other components?
a b à CPUs
March 2, 2009 5:49:28 PM

An OC would produce more lost energy should you let the system running 24/7 without monitor/system power down phases or system apps like Speedstep/Cool and Quiet. Leaving it on 24/7 is fine, but it cost money.
a b à CPUs
a b B Homebuilt system
March 2, 2009 7:02:03 PM

For the past 15 years I've always turned off my home PC at night, and I never turned off my work PC. Guess what: both were just fine. If you have a good reason for the PC to be up (downloads, server stuff, etc.) and the noise/lights don't keep anybody awake, it's fine to leave it on. If not, it's fine to turn it off.

If you leave it on and have a power-hungry gaming card you could also use nTune or Catalyst to underclock it when you're done gaming. That should save you a bit more in electricity bills. Also, you can select a power scheme that turns off idle hard drives after 20 minutes or so.
March 2, 2009 7:22:16 PM

The one issue with systems that run 24/7 is with the mechanical devices such as fans and hard drives. When restarting a system that has ran for an extended period of time, you run the risk of the mechanical part not working properly after the restart. The company I work for has experienced the majority of drive failures after downing a server that has been running for long periods of time. While equipment will run and run and run, stopping it and then trying to restart it is problematic.
!