don_72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Hello,
my hard drive was full and i backed up my stuff on an external drive and formatted my c drive in destructive mode because i didnt want anything its compressed it wont boot ny rec.disk wont let me pick an option for restore just says cntr alt delete no cant even use disk drive nothing will installing another drive fix this problem if i set it to a boot drive access my system and the unc. my c drive

Ok, I've pieced toghether that you're trying to do a fresh re-install of your system after reformatting disk C.
After that I'm a bit confused, if you say your recovery CD doesn't load, how did you format the C drive then?

First and foremost, you need to get inside the BIOS setup (during boot up your computer will give you a hint on how to enter Setup, it should be some key like F10, Del, Ins, etc) after you are there, you want to find the section responsible for boot up sequence and make sure that your CD-rom is checked before the hard drive.

At that point you should be able to put your recovery CD in and boot from that, choosing a destructive windows installation.

Unless your hard drive has a hardware problem you shouldn't have to get a new one.

If you have any problems with the steps I explained above, you will need to provide a better explanation as to what the problem is, how does it present itself and what have you tried to fix it.

don_72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
okay ive got my recovery disk to run it opens up and gives me two options one destructive the other save on drive i choose destructive then push it do i want this yes i do it restores files takes about ten minutes then it kicks my disk out and says start i hit enter it trys to boot and says hard drive is compressed hit control alt delete and thats it i cant do anything else

I'm not sure why it kicks your CD out... if anything it should reboot withit and continue the setup.

have you tried pushing the CD back in before hitting enter?

I'm not sure what it means that hard drive is compressed if it was formatted just now

don72

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
thanks for the help but i couldnt get it to work i installed a new windows operating system i now have vista on my pc it didnt even save my old files that you cant access but i have to buy another graphics card because mine only goes to 60hrz and i have to stop my screen refresh rate thats annoying ill probably get an hd i have a 1080p monitor thanks again

Ok, so you've successfully installed vista, that's good.

it didnt save the old files, but weren't you trying to format the whole disk? that's kind of what the purpose of formatting is...

if you are having trouble accessing your backed up files on the external drive you can try this recovery software:
Free data recovery software:
-Recuva

as far as getting a new graphics card,
you say you have a 1080p monitor, I'm assuming it's LCD, unless it's specifically rated for higher refresh rate the typical LCD monitor only goes up to 60Hz. If you are seeing interference, try setting it to 59Hz