Direct TV self install

Has anyone ever seen a defective Triple LNB for Direct TV? I've just done a
self install. Used a cable that had been fine for another system and
carefully removed and handled. Not only am I gettingno signal.. but the
switch test is failing as well. I ahve the new triple LNB for local
reception with a built-in switch. Clearly it's the LNB or cable, but I doubt
the cable. Does anyone have some more troubleshooting ideas?
Mark
6 answers Last reply
More about direct install
  1. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Mark Bergman wrote:

    > Has anyone ever seen a defective Triple LNB for Direct TV? I've just done a
    > self install. Used a cable that had been fine for another system and
    > carefully removed and handled. Not only am I gettingno signal.. but the
    > switch test is failing as well. I ahve the new triple LNB for local
    > reception with a built-in switch. Clearly it's the LNB or cable, but I doubt
    > the cable. Does anyone have some more troubleshooting ideas?

    OK, I have to admit that I laughed out LOUD at the above!
    Anyone else giggle/bust a gut to the extreme?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Yeah considering DirectTV doesn't have a switch check in there system. They
    do have a screen that checks the signal strength on each transponder,
    though, and list it for you. Kind of handy when you're trouble shooting a
    signal issue.

    Now that I think about it, I have never had a bad one out of the several
    hundred DTV systems I installed last year. But YMMV.

    Are you sure you have it pointed the right way?
    Do you have the correct Dish? Not that you could fit in on a normal dish any
    way.
    Get a new cable and after making sure you have it pointed the right way
    check signal again. If you still don't have signal then call for a service
    call. Oh and make you use a RG6 cable.

    --
    Tyson
  3. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    I would say check all your connections also. Make sure you have the cable
    in the SAT plug and not the ANT plug. Is there anything is the way where
    you have the antenna? Did you make sure the pole was vetical and then
    pre-set the position? Are you checking different transponders while you
    move the dish because some are weaker and may not show up until you get a
    very good aim.

    You said you bought the the dish so the LNBs should be the correct ones. If
    you have 3, the one with the different frequiencies goes in the middle.

    And I have seen the page to which you refer about the switch autoconfigure.
    It won't work if no signal is present.

    It is strange, but once I put up an antenna for my daughter and no matter
    what I did I could not get a signal on one side of the house. Moved to the
    other side and everything was fine. Never have figured that one out.

    Clark

    "TheDishMan" <tacouch.nospam@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yeah considering DirectTV doesn't have a switch check in there system.
    > They do have a screen that checks the signal strength on each transponder,
    > though, and list it for you. Kind of handy when you're trouble shooting a
    > signal issue.
    >
    > Now that I think about it, I have never had a bad one out of the several
    > hundred DTV systems I installed last year. But YMMV.
    >
    > Are you sure you have it pointed the right way?
    > Do you have the correct Dish? Not that you could fit in on a normal dish
    > any way.
    > Get a new cable and after making sure you have it pointed the right way
    > check signal again. If you still don't have signal then call for a service
    > call. Oh and make you use a RG6 cable.
    >
    > --
    > Tyson

  4. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    "Mark Bergman" <marknospam@froniternet.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone ever seen a defective Triple LNB for Direct TV? I've just done
    > self install. Used a cable that had been fine for another system and
    > carefully removed and handled. Not only am I gettingno signal.. but the
    > switch test is failing as well. I ahve the new triple LNB for local
    > reception with a built-in switch. Clearly it's the LNB or cable, but I
    doubt
    > the cable. Does anyone have some more troubleshooting ideas?
    > Mark

    Did you ever get a signal? It sounds more like a dish-aim issue to me. To
    answer your first question, I have seen many defective DirecTv Phase III
    LNB's, but from my experience it's more common to lose odd or even
    transponders than the whole range.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Thanks. Seems as if I'm either misaligned or have bad cable as I am not
    getting any of the satellites.
    "Sir not appearing in this film" <spamwich@lycos.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark Bergman" <marknospam@froniternet.net> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone ever seen a defective Triple LNB for Direct TV? I've just
    done
    > > self install. Used a cable that had been fine for another system and
    > > carefully removed and handled. Not only am I gettingno signal.. but the
    > > switch test is failing as well. I ahve the new triple LNB for local
    > > reception with a built-in switch. Clearly it's the LNB or cable, but I
    > doubt
    > > the cable. Does anyone have some more troubleshooting ideas?
    > > Mark
    > >

    > Did you ever get a signal? It sounds more like a dish-aim issue to me. To
    > answer your first question, I have seen many defective DirecTv Phase III
    > LNB's, but from my experience it's more common to lose odd or even
    > transponders than the whole range.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

    Mark,

    I'm not at work now, but I could email you a comprehensive set of
    instructions for aiming the triple LNB. Let me know if you would like that.

    regards,

    > Thanks. Seems as if I'm either misaligned or have bad cable as I am not
    > getting any of the satellites.
    > "Sir not appearing in this film" <spamwich@lycos.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mark Bergman" <marknospam@froniternet.net> wrote in message
    > > > Has anyone ever seen a defective Triple LNB for Direct TV? I've just
    > done
    > > > self install. Used a cable that had been fine for another system and
    > > > carefully removed and handled. Not only am I gettingno signal.. but
    the
    > > > switch test is failing as well. I ahve the new triple LNB for local
    > > > reception with a built-in switch. Clearly it's the LNB or cable, but I
    > > doubt
    > > > the cable. Does anyone have some more troubleshooting ideas?
    > > > Mark
    > > >

    > > Did you ever get a signal? It sounds more like a dish-aim issue to me.
    > > answer your first question, I have seen many defective DirecTv Phase III
    > > LNB's, but from my experience it's more common to lose odd or even
    > > transponders than the whole range.

Satellite TV TV Cable Home Theatre