Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fixing damage external hdd

Last response: in Storage
September 17, 2010 7:37:23 PM

Hello, how to format RAW external HDD, have try almost anything. This is a new 500GB Samsung Diamond 2.5" HDD. Windows can detect it, but i can't format this thing. HELP, anyone...Thanks.
a c 104 G Storage
September 17, 2010 8:39:16 PM

Hi there,

Which Windows version are you using and what make and model of external portable HDD do you have?

Normally you just connect the external HDD by USB or firewire cable, turn it on, boot up your computer, and check the BIOS CMOS setup to make sure the USB controller is "Enabled".

Then go to Disk Management in the Administrative Tools section, where it should be listed as a Basic Disk, unallocated.
Right click on the icon in the lower panel, and partition the drive as one large simple volume or several partitions depending how you are going to use it. Each volume that you are going to use requires a lettered label, and optionally a volume description. Then complete Format each partition separately using NTFS file system, and it should be recognized by the OS and ready to store data.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 17, 2010 9:33:33 PM

Do as instructed by John_VanKirk.
I don't think this was a ready to use external usb drive from the maker, it's a fairly new type and was either made up by him or someone for resale without formatting it.
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2010 6:21:43 AM

Thanks for your reply, guys...i've tried all that actually, still it won't move beyond 28%, by the way i'm using windows 7 64bit, sorry should mentioned that first..in BIOS i think it detected tit & the usb controller is enabled too. I'm just don't know what else to do... :(  When i received it new, the windows can read it, still can now, i try easeus partition pro & gpart, still it just won't move beyond 28%.
m
l
September 24, 2010 6:25:42 AM

Oh, one more thing, i bought it off EBAY...is it possible this is a fake? funny thing is, windows can read it (465GB). It's just i couldn't access it at all...Thanks. :??: 
m
l
a c 300 G Storage
September 24, 2010 7:55:27 AM

Try a comprehensive SMART diagnostic. Look for reallocated, pending, or uncorrectable sectors.

HD Sentinel (DOS / Windows / Linux):
http://www.hdsentinel.com/

HDDScan for Windows:
http://hddscan.com/

See this article for SMART info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

To check whether it's a fake, can we see photos of the label on the drive, and a detailed photo of both sides of the PCB? We can then check the warranty status of the drive, and we can compare the date codes on the label against the date codes on the chips.

http://www.samsunghddvalue.com/WebRMA/WarrantyCheck/
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
September 24, 2010 3:34:49 PM

Hi again,

This is a new SATA Sansumg 500 GB external 2.5" HDD in an enclosure without external power cable? Nothing on it, you are just having trouble formatting it?

If that's correct, go to Disk Management, right click on the Samsung drive (very careful to choose this drive and not your system drive), and delete the partition or partitions. That will make it all unallocated space. Then choose Baisc Drive, and make a new Partition (can use the whole drive or size you want, with unallocated space at the end), assign a letter designation like "E" or "K", and choose NTFS and full format it.

Maybe it was set up as a dynamic disc before, if you bought it from Ebay.

If this doesn't work, then there is something wrong with the drive.
September 28, 2010 3:59:00 AM

Hi, John, sorry if it took sometime to get back to you, however i've tried what you've said with no luck...It's just stuck around 28% then the led stop blinking. I think there is a problem with it. Thank for the input though....much appreciate it.
m
l
September 28, 2010 4:00:15 AM

Thanks, buddy...i might just do that...
m
l
September 28, 2010 4:02:04 AM

Best answer selected by Richard99.
m
l
!