ATI 3 series overclock

kasper hauser

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
:hello: Hi before I purchase a new card and wait for it to arrive, Is there any point in trying to overclock a ati hd 3450? I asked about this on another thread and it hasnt been answered yet.
Does anyone know how to overclock this card?... I have tried to download ati tools etc but for some reason the default settings wont change... my options atm are to buy a cheap 4series maybe a 4670 until I save the cash for something better or wait a few months until birthday time and get the g/f to buy me a higher end more expensive card... she already regards the pc as her main rival so I dunno if this will ever happen :p either way for the next few weeks can anyone help with overclocking the 3450 as a stop gap until I get a new card?

1. Make sure you have the latest Catalyst drivers installed.

2. Try MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.

3. You can get a 4850 for~$120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102834&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-834-_-Product
This is a MUCH better deal in terms of price vs performance against a 4670 (assuming no CrossFire with the 4670). Btw, I'm basing this on Newegg prices.

4. Even with OCing, the 3450 is NOT a gaming card. Just don't expect to play Crysis,etc at 1680*1050 or so. It should be fine with older games like CSS, HL2,etc.

kasper hauser

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Ok thx for that, the overclock is really just a short fix until i get something better, it was doin me fine for ffxi, fallout3, empire total war etc, right up until i got ffxiv lol so i need somethin decent, i was browsing the various cards out there and tryin to get the right blend between value & performance... the 5770 seems to be the best balance but if i go somwhat cheaper for the 4850 I might hold onto that until the 6 series comes out. This site has been really useful and the ppl really helpful for my troubles... thx again everyone

^ If you can wait a about a month or two, you should be able to snag a 6xxx card around December time. If you are looking for a stop gap card, check eBay/Amazon,etc for a 9800GT or a 9600GT or hell even an older 8800GT/GTS. You should be able to find one of these pretty cheap.