Sign in with
Your question

MSI 790fx-gd 70 memory issues

Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2009 4:15:38 PM

I just recently tried putting together a system using this mb and a amd phenom II X4 955 HDZ955FBGIBOX 3.2 GHz/6 MB L3/125W Processor and I'm having a little issue. I can add 1 stick of 2g memory ddr3 Corsair xms3 1333 9 9 9 24 and it works fine. If I add a second stick it will not boot period. I have swapped the sticks around and even bought additional memory and all the sticks work individually but will not work at all if I add more than 1 stick.

I called MSI tech support and they say the CPU needs replaced. Does this sound feasible or should I look elsewhere for my issues? Thanks for any insight you can provide.
a b } Memory
a c 86 V Motherboard
August 12, 2009 8:09:29 PM

You'll need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS. It sounds like the RAM is not receiving enough voltage on auto settings to run both sticks of RAM.
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:02:31 AM

mine did it also, i moved the ram one slot over and it works fine so idk?
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2009 5:58:43 AM

Frizit said:
I just recently tried putting together a system using this mb and a amd phenom II X4 955 HDZ955FBGIBOX 3.2 GHz/6 MB L3/125W Processor and I'm having a little issue. I can add 1 stick of 2g memory ddr3 Corsair xms3 1333 9 9 9 24 and it works fine. If I add a second stick it will not boot period. I have swapped the sticks around and even bought additional memory and all the sticks work individually but will not work at all if I add more than 1 stick.

I called MSI tech support and they say the CPU needs replaced. Does this sound feasible or should I look elsewhere for my issues? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Can't say about Corsair, but the MSI-790_gd70 is documented to take 2x4G 1333 Crucial ram. I run 2x2G 1333 Crucial CL9 without issue.
m
l
December 22, 2009 11:07:03 AM

I have 4 2 gig sticks of Gskill 12800 running at 1333 with no problem. Sounds like a ram issue. Is your BIOS up to date? The newest is 1.7.
m
l
December 23, 2009 11:15:42 PM

guskline said:
I have 4 2 gig sticks of Gskill 12800 running at 1333 with no problem. Sounds like a ram issue. Is your BIOS up to date? The newest is 1.7.

No need to risk bricking your mobo. BIOS 1.4 ought to run 4x2G 1333 RAM just fine. Lucky for us BIOS-a-phobes.
m
l
December 26, 2009 9:31:55 PM

Quote:
You'll need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS. It sounds like the RAM is not receiving enough voltage on auto settings to run both sticks of RAM.
I like this answer.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2010 7:01:34 PM

HI,
Have the same issue here. If I add second memory stick computer fail to start.
Memory is GEIL 2Gb PC3-10660 CL=6-6-6-24 1.7V
If I change my bios from AUTO to what is specified on the memory, it gets unstable with only one stick.
Further, when I bought my system, it worked fine with 2 memory sticks and win XP but if gave bios bleeps (3 short and 1 long) but I ignored it because couldn't find solution.
After 3 months I am having these symptoms and system became unstable. Crashed so many times XP is not corrupted and luckly a windows 7 version was installing still running.
It works now stable with 1 memory stick and BIOS to Auto settings.
Sometimes after system works for an hour, I can shut it down and add the second stick and it works.
When I reboot after a long time when PC has cooled down, system doesn't boot at all.
(battery is new on motherboard)
(The bios driver is up to date v1.7 and also the ATI drivers)

Any other ideas how I could still get the second memory stick working ?

Regards
Andy
m
l
January 13, 2010 11:34:17 PM

To know what your BIOS beeps truly are, you need to turn on the computer without any USB devices connected because with this motherboard(as well as other motherboards), the computer will make a short beep for every USB device connected. So if you have 3 USB devices connectd(for example, a keyboard, mouse, and external hd), you'll get 3 short beeps from that alone. Why is it that way? I don't know why. That's just the way they made it.
m
l
!