Added CPU,everything great then bang

duffysco

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I recently added a 3.06Ghz HT processor to my motherboard. Worked great and was recognized as a 3.06 and HyperThreading was also recognized. Then I added a nicer video card and when I first turn it on there was a small piece of the case that shorted against the video card. System shutdown immediately and I seen the problem right away. Bent the piece back and turn it back on. Now the CPU says its a 1.6 ghz and Hyperthreading still recognized. My question is this. I now I toasted the motherboard. What are the odds that the video card and CPU are still good? Video card still seems ok, although when I try to install an operating system it hangs up and says variuos files are missing or corrupt. I'm thinking of buying a cheap socket 478 board then stick my 3.06 processor plus the 512mb video card with it. Do you think I am wasting my time.

duffysco

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I didn't specify because I figured the board is junk no matter what its specs are. I apologize. The video card is a Nvidia 8400 GTX PCI with 512mb. I have been into call of duty and just beat CoD4 and when I installed CoD5, my system fell short and was choppy. Its an older Advantech 6006B industrial computer and only had PCI slots to upgrade. So I bumped the processor up to an Intel 3.06Ghz HT and installed the video card. Now I need a new board so I am wondering if I should even bother trying to save it. My regular computer is a Dell Inspiron 1520.

Not a lot of info here . . . but can you get into BIOS and see if the short caused the mobo to reset to default "safe" settings?

Unless you could successfully "install an OS" before the short, the two things may not be related.