notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hi, I recently got a new mobo its a MSi 870 G45. Its got this great OC switch thats super easy to use but it OCs the FSB and doesnt just change the multiplier, which i can't get above x15.5 anyways. Would there be another way to OC? Also do i need to unlock my CPU to be able to change the multiplier? It would make OCing a lot easier. Right now my CPU is at 3.5GHz but i don't want to keep OCing my RAM and FSB. -Thanks

Solution
in order to change the multiplier you need to have a black edition processor if you do not have a BE processor then there is no way to change the multiplier up you can only go down. I recomend you read a couple of oc guides that explain how to overclock.

falcifer

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010

I have the 770-G45 with the same switch.

MSI offer OverClocking Tool on their website. I haven't used it, but it would be another option.

The other option is to edit BIOS settings yourself.
There's an item on the main menu called "Cell Menu", which lists a lot of options, including "Adjust CPU Ratio", which will allow you alter the multiplier (if your CPU allows it).
You may have to set the option "Advanced Clock Calibration" to Enabled, in order to adjust the CPU ratio, though.
Unlocking extra cores won't change the ability to change the multiplier, I don't think.

Check your manual for a list of the settings and what they do.

I would also recommend backing up the settings before you do anything to the BIOS, so that you can restore them if something goes wrong.

According to the MSI specs for your board, it includes something called "Auto OC Genie", which automatically selects the best OC settings for your system and sets them in the BIOS. So that's something you may want to look into, as well.

notsonoobPCguy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Thanks for the info I figured that i might not use Auot OC Genie but i might check it out anyways. Also I now know how to get around the BIOS just fine, BUT my CPU multiplier maxes out at the stock settings still :(

mjmmcole

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
in order to change the multiplier you need to have a black edition processor if you do not have a BE processor then there is no way to change the multiplier up you can only go down. I recomend you read a couple of oc guides that explain how to overclock.

Solution