New i7 Build, need som advice

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Hello. My first post here, but I've used the site for advice every now and then. Great place to get help and advice :)

I want to build a system mainly for gaming, and it's in the lower end of high-end I guess.
The things I'm not listing are things I already have or know what to buy.

CPU
i7-920

Motherboard
I had originally planned to buy the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 after someone recommending it in this forum somewhere, but I've read a lot of people recommending the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 now. No doubt in this case, should go for the Asus?

Graphics Card
I had originally planned 2x Geforce 9800GTX+ in SLI after reading the graphics guide for February, but think I might go for a GTX 285 instead, with the possiblity of adding another one later.

Memory
See almost eveyone recommending CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600. I suppose that is a good choice?

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932

PSU
I was thinking Corsair TX750W, but would that be sufficient if I go for 2x GTX 285 later on? If not, would it be enough without the extra GTX 285?

As for cooling I was thinking of maybe going full WC - CPU, NB and GPU.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but want to make it as quiet as possible, and the additional effect of better cooling is also nice.
I have never done WC though, and don't know much about it. I could read about it if you guys think there is enough info on that subject as it is, but any tips would be welcome.
Would it cost me a lot of extra cash? And would it be possible to get everything built into the tower, or is an external pump highly recommended? Should I put in some extra fans?
If you got suggestions on exactly what parts I should buy, that would be superb :)

And finally, something I have a hard time finding any info about at all, anywhere (or maybe I'm using wrong keywords in my searches?)
I would like a 5.25" Memory card reader tray to go in the slot under the DVD drive. I only really need SD and micro SD, but I don't mind if there's other slots there as well I guess. Not sure if anything like that with micro SD exists at all? Not that important, I do have a micro SD -> converter, but anyway...
If nobody has any good suggestions on this, I could just make a DIY tray I guess.

As I uderstand it, the GTX 285s are actually pretty easy on the power. If you would like a little more headroom, and I know I would, the Corsair 850TX is a good deal.

In my opinion water cooling can be efficient and quiet, but it's also expensive and time-consuming. It's a bit of a hobby unto itself. If you are mechanically inclined and would have no problems say, replacing a car radiator, then you might want to get into it.

As to memory I think G.Skill, Corsair, and OCZ are all good choices at that speed for DDR3 6GB.

A card reader like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820131008

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
+1 for Proximons suggestions

Have you considered the CM Storm sniper case? Its very similar to the HAF and its one of my favorite cases. Its offered in a combo at newegg right now with the i7 processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.165527

The price on Corsair Dominators has recently dropped and most other good 6gb kits just went up, making the Dominators very attractive. I recommend getting them.

I would get the P6T Deluxe V2, however the UD5 is also a very solid board. I think for overclocking the V2 will be more stable however.

I personally don't think WC is worth the price. However if you enjoy tinkering with your stuff then it would be a good match for you, although watercooling can be just as noisy as air cooling.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
a decent air colling can lead you to 3.6 and more with an I7.

good choice to go with a GTX285 !

PSU : TX750 is awesome and ok for a SLI 285 but a 850 will have a lil headroom.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

The price on that ram keeps jumping all over the place lol. A month ago it was around $280, then $170, then $140, then $190, and now back to $130. Rediculous lol. Go with that ram. I have it and its very good ram.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I think newegg is experimenting with crack. I noticed the crazy price fluctuations as well...they had the red PCP&C 750w PSU listed for like $280 yesterday.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I recommend G.skill, Mushkin, or OCZ for RAM. Get the cheaper motherboard, I have heard bad things about the Asus P6T. Everything else seems perfect to me, just keep away from watercooling for now (coming from a watercooling enthusiast).

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

What exactly have you heard about the P6T? Mine works wonderfully, better that I expected to be honest.

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, that one should work I guess, thanks :)
I will change to a 850TX.

I like the HAF 932, think I'll stick to that.

I will have to see about which ram I can get the cheapest then. Problem is I live in Norway, Europe.
Newegg doesn't ship overseas, do they? And if they do, any of you know if they are... "helping" in the way of putting on a bit lower value to easier get it by customs?

Oh wow, now I don't know anymore about the MB :p

Thanks for great advice so far :D

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah, sorry.
I think I can find most of the things you link to on Newegg though, so it's not that big of a deal really. Also why I didn't post any budget really. I just want to make sure I buy quality, nevermind the price for now (not saying I can spend too much on this though).

Oh, and could you recommend some good, silent fans and other things I would need for my setup?

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I get a message saying I can't edit my initial post, so making a new post with the updates.

CPU
i7-920

Motherboard
Still don't know wether I should go for the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 or the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, since Blood Raven apparently had heard something bad about the Asus.

Graphics Card
GTX 285

Memory
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600.

Case
Cooler Master HAF 932

PSU
Corsair TX850W

Regarding cooling, I will go for air cooling since everyone adviced against WC.
Any suggestions on fans and other things for my setup? Something silent would naturally be nice.

The memory card reader isn't an issue anymore. Thanks Proximon :)

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
Just get the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme RC 1366, its the best air cooler out there and performs better than some watercooling kits. I have heard nothing bad about the Asus board and I still recommend you go with it, I use the cheaper version of it and I am extremely happy with it.

For HDDs, go with the 1tb Caviar Black drive.

I prefer Samsung and LG optical drives, so I suggest getting one of those, other brands seem less reliable.

For the OS get Vista Home Premium 64bit so you can take advantage of DX10 and use all your memory.

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks xthekidx :)

You made my day, I'm now 99% sure on the complete setup, and will buy it shortly :)

For HDDs I was actually thinking one of the Caviar Black drives and a Velociraptor for the OS. Or should I just skip the Velociraptor and wait for SDDs to drop in price?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
SSD's and velociraptors are not worth the price IMO. The velociraptor is three times the price of the WD 640gb Caviar black, and the read/write speeds are 120mbs vs 100mbs, and you get over twice the storage space of the Velociraptor. SSD's are still a new technology and have some kinks to work out still, they cannot multitask. The space you get for the price is not worth it unless you have a bottomless bank account. If you want two separate drives, then you can get a couple of those drives and you will have great performance. Or for the price of one Velociraptor, you can get 3 of those drives and run 2 in raid 0 for your system and apps for faster speeds than the Velociraptor would give you, and then use the third as a storage drive. Or spend a little more and get 2 640 drives for raid 0 and a 1tb for storage. Those options give you much more for your money.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i agree with Kid.

any good 32mb 7200rpm is near as fast as a velo. My personal coputer has 16mb. All the system i build now are with 32mb since they are cheap... and damn its faster then my RAID 0 16 mb 7200.

Velo was better when there was only 8mb cache 7200rpm and they was pricy.

Take WD caviar 640 32mb 7200rpm, they are damn cheap and good !

Doctor-boom

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

There's been some complaint on the p6t deluxe v1, not on the v2 or the regular p6T. I have the regular p6t and it works great (running at 3.3ghz stable).

Surfsk8t92

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I haven't built my i7 yet, ordering parts next week. I have read a lot of stuff though, the testing I have seen puts the noctua ahead of the TRUE. Only negative thing I have heard is it's heavy (all of them are going to be), and a comment on the fan brackets "not the best". Would this be a better cooler?

tyralyon

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
It was not easy to find a memory card reader that suited my taste, but I think I have ended up on a AeroCool FP-01 Multifunction Panel.
The only issue I have is the mounting of it, in this review they say that the mounting points may be an issue with some cases.

"Now for the side, this is one thing that some folks may have an issue with, the mounting points. There are only two and they are on the lower part of the sides of the FP-01. Why is this an issue, some cases that have a toolless design utilize the top hole pattern of the standard 4 hole pattern for drive bay devices."

Picture:
areocool_fp01_006.jpg

Anyone know if this will be an issue with the HAF 932?

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I'll be having almost exactly the same build as you, even down the the case lol. I've been recomended the HDT-s1283 with a LGA775/1336 bracket, I've checked prices and they're pretty good. Not sure about norway though.