How to tame a rabid Macboy?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
You know the drill, this has probably happened:

Your friend or a friend of a friend goes off to show off his nice sleek Mac (in my case a iMac)

He's like, "ooohhhh it's all so sexy, it totally beats your computer!!! No Viruses whatsoever!!!"

I say, "oh really, how much you paid for that?"

He says "$1200, but it's so awesome!!!"

And, i'm like "What, really, let me see the specs of this sexy thing you got here! :sol:

He clicks on the system info window or whatever it was and it says:

Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4 Ghz
ATI Radeon x1600
and a bunch of other details, blah blah...

Now, i got my system home built for $850, and i can claim it is better than the iMac he claims to be so superior...

AMD Phenom II 720 BE 3.2 Ghz
Geforce 260 core 216 OCed 680/1466/1202

When i told him that i basically got better parts for less, he does that "Whatever!" denial trick i swear i've seen all the time, and then he moves on to something else!

"Vista suxs balls because of that annoying pop-up!"
"uhhh... you know you can completely turn that off? It's not that hard, google it."
" :heink: "ehhh... Whatever! It has no viruses compared to Windows!!!
"well, that's only because the market share of Macs is so small it's not worth exploiting it compared to Window's bigger market share. If their market shares was reversed, Macs would still get viruses anyway! Also, there's this: http://www.sans.org/top20/ Not so safe, is it?"

And, another "WHATEVER" jumps out of his mouth, and there is no rational way to tame this guy... Ever. :whistle:

x1600 is a piece of sh*t graphics card.

Only an idiot (or mac user) would pay $1200 for that piece of crap rig. {For $1200, your average intelligent PC user could've built an i7 with a top of the line graphics card.}

Buy a copy of Crysis, and tell your friend to run it on his PC on high graphics. (He won't be able to) Now run it on your PC (you will be able to easily) and show how dumb he is.

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Radeon 4770 $100
Phenom x2 550BE (equal to an E8400) $109
Generic ram 4gb $30
Generic 450w PSU $40
mATX am2 mb $60
Generic case $50
Generic DVD player $20
small hard disk of some sort $40

$449 Performs 5-6x better than his rig at a minimum.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
what is it with the Mac? Is their marketing campaign TOO successful in luring uninformed customers to the supposed awesomeness?

Dustpuppy

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

Sure you're not thinking of the 250? Cause they're practically identical in every test performed in the review I read.

Guru3d

ETA: Also op you may want to let him win. He probably has a strong need to feel justified in his $1200 purchase. If he can't return it you've nothing to gain by proving him wrong.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Data or fact >>> Baseless opinion
That's all there is to it really. You can't fix stupid, but you can stop them influencing over others using the above method. That's the best you can do I believe.

Naturally when I stepped into the multimedia editing world I was overwhelmed by Mac zealots. I went as far as creating this thread to get suggestions from others.
The response I got was to go for the 'subtle' approach in trying to reverse the Mac effect.

I had a Mac friend back in my high school days (PowerPC stuff), but we respected each other when discussing advantage and disadvantage of each. We fought with data. :lol:

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I have a friend who uses both PCs and Macs. He is a musician and is convinced that Macs are just better when it comes to recording. I have my suspicions about whether that's a fair assessment. Sometimes I just want to express my opinion, that PCs are the more powerful, versatile platform. I don't think he'd really argue with me, but he seems adamant about the superiority of Apple when it comes to production.

Oh well, at least he isn't one of these Mac fanatics, although he associates with some of them. I've just become a complete skeptic when it comes to any claim in support of Macs. In my estimation:

Mac = closed computer system
PC = open computer system

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Yep, in short Macs provide an easy 123 non-technical solution, that's basically been the whole Apple campaign.
It so happens those people who are considered 'artistic' or 'creative' just wants to get on with the job and not worry about the technical aspect. It's a balance between 'the feel' and max technology utilisation, with Mac users focusing more on the prior.

I happen to want BOTH of those things hence my understanding of it I guess. When it comes to achieving peak performance, Macs are 2nd rated and I don't use 2nd rated stuff. ;) But I'm also careful not to be taken away by gear heads (too tech orientated and little creativity) either.

Really Windows Users justify themselves with reasons and personal experience. Mac fanboys have the luxury of making up their own reality. You can say things like Mac is AS vulnerable to viruses as Windows is. You could point out that at pwn to own isafari was proven INFERIOR to IE. But you can't compete with a MAC fanboys imagination.

But all is not lost. Install MAC OSX on your machine, and all the apple apps. He'll have nothing to say then. Also you'd be sticking it to Jobs and that I'm a freakin MAC guy.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Ask him to come out to pick a NEW game, whilst you grab the newest copy of whatever. Explain to him if he wants the game he needs to wait 6-36 months to get it (if he's lucky they do a crapple port). I had a friend who picked up a copy of Bioshock a few months ago for his Mac (a new release). I explained to him that I had a copy of it for the PC 4 weeks after it came out (friggin AAFES), and that I had played and beat it 5 or 6 times already.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

yea... did anyone get OS X running on any systems outside the Apple world? I'm betting "probably" on this... something like Boot Camp except that it's a PC Window-based one.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I've seen many run it, but haven't tried myself because I have no need for it. You can find all resources about it in www.hackint0sh.org (under OSx86).

About 10 or 15 years ago, one of the industry magazines did a survey of college computer users. Surprise, surprise. The liberal arts majors preferred Macs; the engineering majors preferred PC's.

In my limited personal experience, there is precious little common ground between Mac Zombies, *ux Bigots, and PC Bible~Thumpers... About the furthest you generally get is agreement from the first two that the 3rd is a stupid idiot.

I prefer to not waste much time on this particular topic. Most minds are made up even before the discussion begins, and therefore the chance for meaningful dialogue is rather small.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

If those artards start affect my ability to perform my job properly I will take a hot steaming dump on them. ;)
I simply embraced myself for it as I know such event will inevitability happen when roaming in the multimedia industry, where the Mac zealots gather.

christop

Distinguished
ask if he can upgrade his imac?? Maybe ram but that's it.. Past that point it goes in the trash and he buy another imac.. Plus I can build a hackintosh that would blow away a mac tower any day and it would be about 800 bucks...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The Mac zealots are the problem they basically made it into a religion. Just like any religious fanatic when you point out holes in their beliefs they will never acknowledge even a single flaw. They are also aggressive and pushy to those who think differently.

Is quite amusing really because Apple was the one with the commercial about 1984 but today they achieved being just that. Perhaps they didn't cause this fanboyism with their marketing and blatant lies. But lets not forget censorship of criticism or even common technical problems on their forums to keep the consumer unaware. Also the fact that whether or not they created these zealot fanboys they certainly take advantage of them and encourage the behavior. They aren't a company that deserves respect of any kind.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
They aren't a company that deserves respect of any kind.
Whole heartily agree. Couldn't have said it better.

Personally I believe the larger their 'cult' grows is a direct indication of mankind laziness. People who critically analyze ALL current available technology on the market for themselves will come to conclude Apple products are both not at the pinnacle nor best value ($/performance) of what's achievable.

Bleh on the generics. For some reason I can never get myself to buy generic. Even my Blu-Ray and DVD drive are LG and Samsung respectively.

Just don't see a reason to introduce possible problems.

And yes that is a better system. For what they charge for a Mac Pro I can customize a killer dual card Core i7 with 12GB of RAM and tons of HDD space and even get a Xaser VI from Thermaltake and fit it with awesome blue LED lights that make that plain white/grey look well just that. Plain.

Apple: Think Plain.

Agreed about the generics, especially when quality isn't that expensive. A quality PSU can be had for $60 or so, and the RAM and DVD can be had for the same price as stated above if they are name brand (maybe $5 more). IMHO, there isn't enough of a cost saving in the generics to justify it.

As for the Mac Pro? Here's a comparison between my setup and a mac pro I just configured

Code:
Mine                                                             Mac Pro
Asus P6T Deluxe                                          Unknown 2 socket board
i7 965@4GHz                                               2x Xeon E5520 @ 2.26GHz (nehalem)
12Gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600                          12Gb ECC DDR3-1066
Corsair HX1000W                                          Unknown
4870x2 CFX (4GPUs, 1GB each)                              Single 4870 512MB
RAID 0 Velociraptors + 1Tb Caviar Black                  Single 1TB 7200RPM drive
Blu ray burner                                            Dual 18x DVD burners
Wireless 802.11n card                                        Wireless 802.11n card
Logitech G9                                                Apple Mighty Mouse

$4k or so                                                     $4050

Of course, I don't have a decorative fruit on my case - that's gotta be worth at least $500 :kaola:

(Yes, I kind of went overboard with this build, but I'd been saving up for a long time, and wanted something that was basically the fastest on the market, even if it did mean I was sacrificing some of the price/performance ratio. The sad thing is, I still beat the price/performance ratio of the mac by a pretty big margin :))