Good OC capable MOBO for a Wolfdale E6500

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hey, I am new to overclocking and had a question. I want to OC my cpu some but at the moment I have a Dell mobo and am unable to through the bios, and from what I understand, that is the best way to do so. My question is can someone recommend to me a good starter mobo that is a socket 775 LGA that would be good for OCing my wolfdale e6500? I hear my particular cpu is great for overclocking and would like to squeeze a bit more performance out of it. My budget is up to 100$ I would say.

Solution
I just so happened to recently build a system using the G41 board and E6500. The limiting factor with the G41 is its relatively low maximum FSB frequency (about 340 - 350 MHz). So the most you can reasonably expect is around 3.8 GHz. Still, not too shabby for a cheap chip in an inexpensive motherboard.

Extra note: there's no need to go into the BIOS and turn off the integrated graphics. The BIOS will sense the presence of the video card and automatically deactivate it.
Get either one of these boards depending on how high you plan to OC or how skilled you are:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128380
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

For the best OC go with the P43 UD3L. Basically, if you are trying for 3.8-4Ghz that is. Else, the ES2L should be fine.

DO NOTE: When you are switching the motherboard you will need to do a repair install and may be even a fresh install of your OS. Also realize that you will NOT be able to activate the Dell OEM copy of the OS via the usual method (Internet based). Calling Microsoft and trying to activate it that way usually works.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks for you answer. Someone did already recommend the first mobo you listed there to me, thing is this is my first time buying and installing a mobo, and it will also be my first overclocking experience so I dont plan on doing anything drastic I think. DO you think the ESL2 is better for a first timer like me who wants more out of their cpu but is not too interested in pushing my cpu to its limits?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

There is only one problem I can see with that board, and that is it comes with a pci express 1 slot and my gtx 260 is a pci express 2 I beleive, and from what I read on the feedback of that board some people ordered it without realizing that and had problems with their pci express 2 cards.

I just so happened to recently build a system using the G41 board and E6500. The limiting factor with the G41 is its relatively low maximum FSB frequency (about 340 - 350 MHz). So the most you can reasonably expect is around 3.8 GHz. Still, not too shabby for a cheap chip in an inexpensive motherboard.

Extra note: there's no need to go into the BIOS and turn off the integrated graphics. The BIOS will sense the presence of the video card and automatically deactivate it.

Solution

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks for the info. I dont really know too much about FSB frequency, other then knowing what FSB stands for. 3.8 sounds more then enough for me, was originally only plannin on something like 3.5 perhaps so that works for me.