Do I have too keep MSI Afterburnewr running in the taskbar?

Yes, if it's an Afterburner profile. However, if it's below the ATI Overdrive limits within CCC you could set it through that. Alternatively, you can modify your BIOS and reflash it so that the card thinks the overclock is the normal settings. You would need Radeon Bios Editor from techpowerup.com as well as a flash tool.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You "do not' have to have it running on your "Task Bar".
You can set an OC or Profile and X-out of MSI AB and it will hold the setting. If you want to keep a OC setting at "Start-Up", just make sure the Green Light is lite up at the bottom where it say's "*Apply overclocking at system startup" ( AfterBurner will be running in the back round and not be shown on the Task Bar)

288its.jpg

To verify the OC is running use this
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1864/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.4.6.html

*Before applying at start up "Make Sure" it is a stable OC or you may have fun getting into the OP-Sys and may require you to go into Safe Mode to uninstall AfterBurner.

If you decide to Flash the BIOS, you had better do some serious Studying!!

josh283407

Prominent
Jan 16, 2018
this is an old thread but i came looking for answers and this is one of the places i came so here is what i found out. afterburner does not have to be running to keep an overclock once it has been applied. you set the overclock and hit apply and close afterburner and the oc stays UNTIL you reboot. afterburner is not running in the background. if you enable the "apply settings at startup" option then afterburner starts in the background at boot, applies settings, and then closes itself. so there is no program running in the background so dont worry about it slowing down your game or taking up ram\cpu or whatever.

however....this does not apply to fan profiles apparently. you have to keep afterburner running to keep your fan profile. i thought this was not true but i added a second card for mining and im either just finding this out (lol) or it only applies to dual card setups. but i think i just never noticed it wasnt applying my fan profiles. so for oc's just hit apply at startup but NOT start with windows and for fan profiles pick apply at startup and start with windows and start minimized.