Sign in with
Your question

Did my HDD crash?

Last response: in Storage
September 18, 2010 4:27:48 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering what happened to my previous functioning HDD. I have two 2TB HDDs that were originally on an external USB enclosure which I migrated to my new gaming rig. I maintained the setup and format of the drives where I could see both HDDs together as one in Windows 7. I had been using the HDDs for a week or so but I got home today and now my HDD appears blank and is telling me I need to format it before I can access it. Did my HDD crash? Should I even bother reformatting the HDD if it crashed once? I pretty pissed because I had about 400 movies of data that I just lost. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

More about : hdd crash

a b G Storage
September 18, 2010 2:51:24 PM

first off, 2TB HDDs on external USB enclosure? how was this setup/running
m
l
September 18, 2010 3:58:10 PM

Thank you for offering to help! I had a pair of HDDs (Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive) enclosed in a KINGWIN MBT-32U-BK 3.5" Black USB 2.0 Dual Bay External Data Storage external enclosure which was connected to my old iMac through USB. I had the drives configured in BIG mode, meaning in Windows 7 I saw both drives as only one larger drive.

When I setup my new gaming rig I took the HDDs out of the enclosure and hooked them up internally through SATA cables with the IDE configuration. As I said before the drive was working perfectly fine for about a week, and then I started using Newsbin to download to the drive and the next day it appears unformatted in Windows 7. I still see the drive in both windows and bios but it's prompting me to format it to explore it's contents now :( . I tried on a google search for this problem which led me to a program called Testdisk which I installed and attempted to use. The problem was testdisk didn't recognize the HDD I need to repair, so my attempt to recover the data has failed so far. Any help you could offer would be appreciated! I'm trying to go through the free open-sourced data recovery program route but if it doesn't work I'm willing to buy some software that would help. On a positive note I am going to setup some kind of RAID configuration so I'm less likely to lose data again!

BTW, I have your Corsair case and I'm loving it!
m
l
September 18, 2010 4:11:16 PM

I think I got my signature working:
m
l
!