Computer Won't Post (2)--All parts tested/replaced

stieruridir

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I posted here a number of months back asking for help with my non-POSTing system, let's hope you guys can help me this time.

While back, my computer had a forced shutdown--october or so? I think? Well, I tried to restart it and it wouldn't post. Went through a lot of diagnostics, we suspected it was the mobo, so I replaced that. Still didn't work. In the process CPU fan got dismounted...remounted that and it worked again. Oh well.

Month passes and it stops working again. Nothing's changed. Once again, no post and no beep, fans seem to be working overdrive. I take it into the school shop, where it languishes for a while.

In total, this is what's been changed:

Gigabyte Mobo->ASUS P5E
ASUS P5E->RMA for new one
Replaced **** old power supply with new (good) one from Corsair, 650W.
Tested 8800GTS 640mb on another system, it worked in that system.
Bought a new q6600 to replace old one.

That's all the core components except the RAM, and the repair shop said that that worked (though I might try to find some to test with regardless). RAM is 800, MOBO can handle 1200/1066/800.

I have run with just core components, as well as made sure it recognizes if things are not plugged in (I got the proper beeps). I did not overclock my system or change voltages at all.

I have no idea what can be wrong.

stieruridir

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Well, the various stuff on the mobo lights up, etc., and it recognizes when stuff isn't there. And the HDD isn't plugged in--you don't need it for POSTing.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
My mobo recognized a wierd number post on it and it wasn't in any type of beep/number post when i looked around at other posts on google, found out on a forum that it means the motherboard was dead due to to much power trying to oc.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
well onlything that would power up would be a psu but, you said you replaced it, have you tried switching back to the old one to see if it posts or turns on?

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
This will probably sound stupid but, got to ask, you sure everything is connected right? no miss connections? 20+4 connector is the right connector for that motherboard? cause if its a no post, sounds wierd, if it doesnt post then its on the motherboard.