Multi-GPU

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Hey all...been a while...anyway, here's today's question(s):

First, a little background...
I'm a relatively serious gamer, and a power user...and a folder. I sold off my main rig due to some financial difficulties this past fall (I don't weep for it...my new one will be complete within the month, and is already functional)...and the new system is AMD/ATI.

Here's the situation: I just ordered an HD 4850, it's on its way...and, suddenly, an older, g80 based 8800GTS 320 falls my direction!

So, since I have a 790X motherboard, I've got 2 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 slots, sitting there. I've got the power to run both cards (PCP&C PSU, nice one), and I don't need the other slot for another card RIGHT NOW...so, it almost only makes sense to be running the 8800GTS 320 as a folder, and let the 4850 do the gaming.

Now, comes the questions:

Stanford definitely makes it possible to do this, with running -configonly on the GPUs...but will windows bug out if I try to install nVidia AND ATI products? Will there be serious driver conflicts?

Remember, I've got XP and Vista, so, if either is easier to accomplish this with...I'll use IT.

I know that I need to set the primary display to the 4850, for sure, so that when I game, I'll be gaming on it.

Now, a little further down the line, I'd like to fold on both, but first, I'd like to make some dry runs to ensure that I've got the ventilation to handle them, since, while the 8800GTS vents outside the case...the 4850 does not.

Anyway, thanks for your responses...and please, if all you have to say is "what, you can only use 2 exactly the same cards from exactly the same manufacturer, made on exactly the same day by exactly the same Taiwanese worker," keep it to yourself...you're wrong, just look up the countless folders running multiple cards together...if anything, I imagine it will be easier, since my drivers shouldn't even try to conflict with each other...just looking for setup tips.

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Hmm...looks like I was searching for the wrong thing..."ati and nvidia in same computer" search seems to have turned up my answer...provided they have separate drivers, it's no problem.

Sometimes, we all just need to be told to go to google! Thanks!