Sign in with
Your question

Why did Half-Life 2 kill my power supply?

Last response: in Components
June 3, 2009 6:07:40 AM

First things first, I recently built myself a nice music production/gaming computer. Important specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU
ASUS P6T Motherboard
OCZ 6GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Graphics Card
Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Antec P182 Case

Ok so a few weeks ago I started playing Half-Life 2. So far I had only played a few games, none nearly as demanding as HL2. Obviously, since I have a pretty kickass system, I was not expecting anything to go wrong. But 10 minutes into the game, I went into the graphics options to set the max settings when all of a sudden the computer just shut off. Wouldn't turn back on. Long story short I diagnosed the problem to the power supply using a multimeter and researching extensively online. So I returned it to Newegg and got a brand new one. Installed it tonight and my computer works now.

Anyone have any idea why Half-Life 2 killed my power supply? The only thing I can think of is maybe because before I had my computer plugged into a power strip and not an actual surge protector (I went out and bought a surge protector to fix that), but I'm not sure if that could somehow kill the PSU. Maybe the PSU needed more power when I maxed the game settings and the power strip couldn't handle it? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking you guys. I'm pretty sure I have enough wattage because I used like 3 different power supply calculators and all of them said 650W would be more than enough.

Any answers/suggestions would be much appreciated, I don't wanna start playing Half-Life 2 again and have my computer die on me again! :) 
June 3, 2009 6:21:39 AM

That PSU should be sufficient to power your computer. Only thing I would suggest is maybe stress testing it with Prime95 to see if it happens again. Maybe you just got a bad PSU the first time? I don't think the power strip would matter unless there was a power surge or outage that occurred before this happened. But it is always a good idea to have it going through a surge protector.
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2009 8:22:04 AM

Your PSU is more than enough for your pc so is nothing to worry about.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2009 8:34:36 AM

Even the best company's some times make duds.
The Corsair tx650w PSU is more than powerful enough to run your system, sounds like your first unit was just a lemon.
June 3, 2009 2:00:05 PM

Yes, you have made a logical failure in assuming that because the PSU died at the same time you were cranking the graphics settings that cranking the settings was the cause.

It wasnt, you just got a lemon.
June 7, 2009 3:50:39 PM

rcw110131 said:
First things first, I recently built myself a nice music production/gaming computer. Important specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU
ASUS P6T Motherboard
OCZ 6GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB Graphics Card
Corsair TX 650W Power Supply
Windows Vista Home Premium x64
Antec P182 Case

Ok so a few weeks ago I started playing Half-Life 2. So far I had only played a few games, none nearly as demanding as HL2. Obviously, since I have a pretty kickass system, I was not expecting anything to go wrong. But 10 minutes into the game, I went into the graphics options to set the max settings when all of a sudden the computer just shut off. Wouldn't turn back on. Long story short I diagnosed the problem to the power supply using a multimeter and researching extensively online. So I returned it to Newegg and got a brand new one. Installed it tonight and my computer works now.

Anyone have any idea why Half-Life 2 killed my power supply? The only thing I can think of is maybe because before I had my computer plugged into a power strip and not an actual surge protector (I went out and bought a surge protector to fix that), but I'm not sure if that could somehow kill the PSU. Maybe the PSU needed more power when I maxed the game settings and the power strip couldn't handle it? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking you guys. I'm pretty sure I have enough wattage because I used like 3 different power supply calculators and all of them said 650W would be more than enough.

Any answers/suggestions would be much appreciated, I don't wanna start playing Half-Life 2 again and have my computer die on me again! :) 

No data bits are going to cause current to react in an unstable state, There may have been something running in the background ( Active modems would do this ) causing a temporary overload which would ussually save your input fuse and burn out your PS front end. It should be the other way around, but supply vendors saw extra dollars doing it this way.You might want to add up max current draw of your main components and check PS specs for various draws on various voltage lines. Who is near the edge of falling over. I'll bet you could almost run two games simultaneously.
June 7, 2009 3:52:28 PM

No data bits are going to cause current to react in an unstable state, There may have been something running in the background ( Active modems would do this ) causing a temporary overload which would ussually save your input fuse and burn out your PS front end. It should be the other way around, but supply vendors saw extra dollars doing it this way.You might want to add up max current draw of your main components and check PS specs for various draws on various voltage lines. Who is near the edge of falling over. I'll bet you could almost run two games simultaneously.
a b ) Power supply
June 8, 2009 6:46:29 AM

^

WTH?
June 8, 2009 7:05:57 AM

^+1 lol, yea just a dud thats all. if you had like a 250 yea maybe. but a ame still cant blow yur pc.
!