Game lags over time

vnisme

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hi i was wondering what is my problem?
i believe somethings wrong with my ram, because when i change the ram in different slots the game plays smoothly, but then over time, it gets laggier and laggier.
what is wrong?

i have a
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
VisionTek HD 3650 512 mb DDR2 AGP
2 Gb Ram (4x 512mb) 2 corsair and 2 kingston
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
Windows XP

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Need a little clarification:

When you say 'laggy' are you playing an online game and actually getting laggy ie. having a very high latency? or are you referring to the game getting lower and lower framerate and getting 'choppy'?

When you say 'over time' is that over the course of the game session? a few hours? days?

What exactly changes when you change ram slots? The game lasts longer before something goes wrong?

This is not a RAM issue.

If something is wrong with your System RAM it can cause some glitches but more than likely will simply cause a BSOD. It will not cause game lagging.

Your problem sounds a little vague to troubleshoot. Based on what you have said I'm not even certain that you have a problem despite thinking that you do.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
If the game gets choppy after a while than to me it sounds more like CPU overheating(dust-clogged heatsink perhaps?) and being throttled because of that. Download CoreTemp and check your temperatures with the cpu under load(run the game in window or download Prime95 or Orthos and stress the cpu with either while watching the temperature)