Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Review By Tom's Hardware

r_manic

Administrator
The conclusion?
I don’t have any problem recommending Core i7 over Phenom II right now—even if it costs an extra $100 (this was my conclusion back when AMD launched the X4 955, and it hasn’t changed). But that recommendation only extends as far as the Core i7-920. At $562 and $999, the 950 and 975 Extreme launching today don’t warrant the step up if you’re an enthusiast undeterred by the thought of Bclk-based overclocking.

Kudos to Intel for raising the bar and enabling extra performance, even when both of the products being replaced were uncontested. But we’ll leave those premium bins to the folks who don’t mind spending extra money on peace of mind. At least for the time being, and given the frequencies we already hit with it, the i7-920 is too sweet a deal to ignore at $280.
I'd say "amen to that!", but I've yet to try the 920, 975 XE, or the X4. Thoughts?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Is Chris Angelini blogging???
His conclusion does not sound like professional journalism at all.

If you're to be trusted by others then you have got to show it. e.g. almost all of my posts in Storage and Networking forum

[EDITED]Then again I never read conclusions and analyse the data myself to suit my usage/need.

IMO, The i975 is for the e-peen status-conscious crowd, sorta like those Steve Jobs caters to :). The i920 D0 is much more reasonable given the fact you should easily hit 4GHz+ on air with a decent cooler.

However, I'm sure there is a market for both, even if Intel sells a hundred i920's for every i975 - the profit margin has to be pretty substantial on the latter. I'm just wondering what the alleged i930 replacement for the i920 will bring this fall, if the rumor is true.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
If your on air the 920 is the only chip to buy!!!!

If your on water then thats a new story!!! The 975 will give a few more ghz, 4.4ghz! only on water!

You got ask yourself? is worth $700 to get from 4ghz to 4.4ghz??? plus $1000 in water cooling???

for some yes!

The 920s do not hit 4.6GHz on air, unless you get an incredibly lucky chip. 4-4.2, yes, but definitely not 4.6.