For some reason, my CCC wont open anymore so I cant adjust anything regarding my radeon 4850 card. Ive tried to reinstall/uninstall CCC drivers to no avail. I'm thinking my only option (besides wiping the comp clean) is to uninstall my 4850, put my geforce 8600 back in and then reinstall the 4850 again but i really dont want to go through the hassle of that. Any advice on what to do would be helpful.
That wont do you much good. Odds are you need to delete all the registry entries, folders, etc, associated with ati.
I had this same problem last week and I used both Driver cleaner and the other "cleaner" that they feature at Guru3d.com now. After cleaning all ATI/CCC stuff out, rebooting, I was able to install them and they worked just fine.
The reason why CCC is probably not working sometime is because you updated new drivers over previous ones. Even if you uninstalled ATI drivers from the control panel. There are still files, registries, and other files left behind.
1. download driver cleaner and install it. http://www.overclock.net/downloads/138459-driver-cleane...
2. uninstall ATI drivers from control panel and I mean everything related to the ATI driver.
3. go to run, type msconfig and click enter, go to boot tab, check mark "safe boot", please ok, and close. restart the computer.
4. now you are in safe mode. now open driver cleaner. select "multiple cleaning filters" and check mark in each box that relates to your card. (usually ATI, ATI CCC, ATI HydraVision, ATI Uninstall Utility, and ATI WDM) and click start for it to run. it should take about 5-10 minutes.
5. go to run, type msconfig and click enter, go to boot tab, uncheck mark "safe boot", please ok, and close. restart the computer.
6. now you should be able to boot into windows and install the new ATI drivers.
7. after installing new drivers. restart computer.
This should work. I used this method for every new ATI driver I installed on my computer.