jaeme

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
my 1000g hard drive is only 10% full yet when i try to move an 8g film on to there it says not enough space? please help..

Open up Explorer, right-click on the drive and select "Properties".

Look at the "File System" type on the "General" tab. Is the File System "NTFS"?

If it's one of the FAT variants then it can't accept files larger than 4GB.

jaeme

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
thanks guys i almost got there, i used the link then went through the motions to convert but it ended in saying insufficiant memory? it is a verbatim 1tr and has 862 GB free space on there.. confused is an understatement...

jaeme

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010

thanks guys i almost got there, i used the link then went through the motions to convert but it ended in saying insufficiant memory? it is a verbatim 1tr and has 862 GB free space on there.. confused is an understatement...

I'm not an expert on the conversion process, but it may be that your existing volume has some files or bad sectors located in areas that would be reserved under NTFS and this is preventing the conversion.

Do you have another drive of about 200GB or so? If you do, you can copy all your files to that drive, reformat your entire 1TB drive from scratch as NTFS, and then copy the files back again.

Edit - yes, I see that's what the pjmelect's link suggests. Try chkdsk first, and if that doesn't work you'll have to do the copy to another disk.