Pocket WMP Streaming Media

November 22, 2004 9:45:51 AM

I have two questions regarding Pocket WMP and streaming media.

1. I've been to MS's Pocket Media Site and streamed some movie trailers over
Wi-Fi. The 56K ones are lame, but the 300K ones are nice. I tried to go to
the full MS Media Site, but it doesn't support pIE :-( While that in itself
is lame, more importantly, is there a good site for WMP-compatible streaming
media? Even streaming radio would be great, but I'm also interested in news
clips, movie trailers, etc.

2. Can Pocket WMP stream music from my PC? I assume if I had some software
on my PC that streamed the content in Windows Media format, then it would
work. Is there any, preferably free, software that will do this? I do have
IIS running on this laptop if that makes it easier.

Thanks!

Tim
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:44:47 PM

http://yuhnke.com/radio/

and

http://www.josheinstein.com for details on how to set up your own streaming
content

--
Josh Einstein
Einstein Technologies

Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 2.0 - Change the way you work without
changing the applications you work in. http://www.tabletoutlook.com

"Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
>I have two questions regarding Pocket WMP and streaming media.
>
> 1. I've been to MS's Pocket Media Site and streamed some movie trailers
> over Wi-Fi. The 56K ones are lame, but the 300K ones are nice. I tried to
> go to the full MS Media Site, but it doesn't support pIE :-( While that in
> itself is lame, more importantly, is there a good site for WMP-compatible
> streaming media? Even streaming radio would be great, but I'm also
> interested in news clips, movie trailers, etc.
>
> 2. Can Pocket WMP stream music from my PC? I assume if I had some software
> on my PC that streamed the content in Windows Media format, then it would
> work. Is there any, preferably free, software that will do this? I do have
> IIS running on this laptop if that makes it easier.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim

November 24, 2004 12:27:55 AM

Thanks for the tip. As I search for streaming media URL's, all of them
besides the one you mention (and MS's WM Mobile site) are all geared for
desktop browsers eventhough the streams of course work on a PPC. So I've
added both these sites to our MobileWeb site index. I'll keep searching for
more, but anyone that knows of others please share them with us.

Thanks!

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com

"Josh Einstein" <josheinstein@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 33jTKL0EHA.2040@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://yuhnke.com/radio/
>
> and
>
> http://www.josheinstein.com for details on how to set up your own
> streaming content
>
> --
> Josh Einstein
> Einstein Technologies
>
> Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 2.0 - Change the way you work without
> changing the applications you work in. http://www.tabletoutlook.com
>
> "Tim@PalmZone.net" <tim@palmzone.net> wrote in message
>>I have two questions regarding Pocket WMP and streaming media.
>>
>> 1. I've been to MS's Pocket Media Site and streamed some movie trailers
>> over Wi-Fi. The 56K ones are lame, but the 300K ones are nice. I tried to
>> go to the full MS Media Site, but it doesn't support pIE :-( While that
>> in itself is lame, more importantly, is there a good site for
>> WMP-compatible streaming media? Even streaming radio would be great, but
>> I'm also interested in news clips, movie trailers, etc.
>>
>> 2. Can Pocket WMP stream music from my PC? I assume if I had some
>> software on my PC that streamed the content in Windows Media format, then
>> it would work. Is there any, preferably free, software that will do this?
>> I do have IIS running on this laptop if that makes it easier.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Tim

November 25, 2004 5:33:03 PM

I have an iPAQ h2215 and my 2 favorite streaming video sites are
http://www.pocketpcmedia.com
and
http://www.ppcvidz.com
They both have lots of content and are updated frequently (unlike the
Windows Media site.

Can't seem to view the FOx News update on my PPC though. Maybe you'll have
better luck.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 5:55:18 PM

Cool. I'm looking for these myself. I have added these two, plus the
Microsoft one and Yuhnke's page. I will continue to add sites as I find
them. I made a special PPC Media category in MobileWeb for them:
http://www.pdainfosource.com/modules.php?name=MobileWeb...

--

"Dav" <popcritic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an iPAQ h2215 and my 2 favorite streaming video sites are
> http://www.pocketpcmedia.com
> and
> http://www.ppcvidz.com
> They both have lots of content and are updated frequently (unlike the
> Windows Media site.
>
> Can't seem to view the FOx News update on my PPC though. Maybe you'll have
> better luck.

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 12:58:48 AM

BTW, I've added RadioShowLinks.com to the Multimedia page. It serves up a
PDA-friendly version when you access it from your PPC.
http://www.radioshowlinks.com/display.aspx/cid/c1

I've also created a new domain for MobileWeb, so its now PdaMobileWeb.com.
Its got a lot of Pocket PC sites on it now so I wanted it to have its own
domain. The multimedia page is here:
http://www.pdamobileweb.com/category21.htm

--
Tim Nicholson