Installing OS in seperate partition

Hi

I'm building a new PC with 1 physical HDD (200 GB). I plan on creating a few
partitions on it...

Question:

Is there an advantage to installing WinXP PRO in its own partition (used
only for the OS)? Example -- create a 30GB partition which would only be
used for XP -- all other software and apps would be installed in a different
partition.

I thought this would make reloading the OS easier later on if I had to
since --theoretically -- the other partitions could remain untouched if I
had to reinstall Windows...

Please advise if this is worth while... If so How big of a partition should
be allocated for XP PRO? Thanks in advance.
6 answers Last reply
More about installing seperate partition

    There's little or no advantage in terms of the system or how it runs. When
    you say you thought this would make reloading the OS easier, I assume you
    mean reinstalling after a format as it appears you are trying to avoid
    having to reinstall the applications. That won't work. All applications
    would need to be reinstalled in such a scenario as the OS after a format and
    reinstall would not know where they are.

    However, creating and using Images can save you a lot of time.
    I have an image of my setup with a clean install of the OS, all drivers
    loaded and most settings in place. I have a separate image of the OS with
    most of my primary applications installed.

    Sometimes, if I know I'm going to be doing something risky, I'll create an
    image of my setup with all my data as well. The two best applications for
    this are Drive Image from PowerQuest, www.powerquest.com (now owned by
    Symantec) and Norton Ghost, also owned by Symantec, www.symantec.com.

    You shouldn't use these in place of a backup, rather use your backup as a
    supplement to the images which are essentially just the framework of your
    system without your data files. Used together, in a system crash, you can
    be up and running again in 30 to 45 minutes as opposed to the hours it would
    take to first reinstall the OS and then all your applications.

    Don't worry if you don't have all the applications installed in the image
    because whatever comes later for which you may not have had time to create a
    new applications image will take far less time to install than all the work
    necessary without the use of images.

    I create a specific partition where I store the images and it would also be
    advisable to burn the image files to a DVD disk as they will likely be too
    large for CD-R. That way, if your hard drive fails, you still have your
    images which you can quickly restore after replacing your hard drive.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    MP wrote:

    > Is there an advantage to installing WinXP PRO in its own partition (used
    > only for the OS)? Example -- create a 30GB partition which would only be
    > used for XP -- all other software and apps would be installed in a different
    > partition.

    There is an advantage to creating a separate user data partition, if you
    want to use the same data in different OS instances. There is no
    advantage to separating out the applications since those folders will be
    OS-specific.

    You can point My Documents and your email and news files to your user
    data partition. Details vary by application. Best not to try to move the
    entire user profile to the user data partition as much of it is
    OS-specific.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

    Thanks for the suggestion about the ghost software -- I need to pick some
    up.

    But about drive size -- Is there a limit to how big of a drive partition XP
    can use? Theoretically, could I have just 1 partition of 200GB? Or is there
    a limit to what XP can see/use?

    Thanks again.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:OswDlF$NEHA.3832@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm building a new PC with 1 physical HDD (200 GB). I plan on creating a
    > > few
    > > partitions on it...
    > >
    > > Question:
    > >
    > > Is there an advantage to installing WinXP PRO in its own partition (used
    > > only for the OS)? Example -- create a 30GB partition which would only
    be
    > > used for XP -- all other software and apps would be installed in a
    > > different
    > > partition.
    > >
    > > I thought this would make reloading the OS easier later on if I had to
    > > since --theoretically -- the other partitions could remain untouched if
    > > had to reinstall Windows...
    > >
    > > Please advise if this is worth while... If so How big of a partition
    > > should
    > > be allocated for XP PRO? Thanks in advance.

    It's also handy to have it by itself at archiving time; much
    easier to back up D, E, & F than to have to sort out the os
    from the data for backups.
    It can also make it easier to ID whether a file is an OS
    file or not, and whether an install is putting things where
    you think they go.

    Imaging is important, IMO, esp with a 200G drive; if I were
    you I'd use all 4 partitions or get Partition Magic if you
    want even more. Make good use of the partitions for
    housekeeping.

    There IS a limit on parition size but I don't recall what it
    is. Check that out because 180G comes to mind for some
    reason. I'm pretty sure I was at MS when I read it; can't
    find it now though.

    HTH
    Pop

    Pop

    MS wrote:

    > There IS a limit on parition size but I don't recall what it
    > is. Check that out because 180G comes to mind for some
    > reason. I'm pretty sure I was at MS when I read it; can't
    > find it now though.

    You recall correctly, but that limit is removed in XP SP1. You really
    want a slipstreamed (SP1 integral to XP setup) CD in case you need to
    repair or do a clean re-install of XP, but if your computer came with XP
    SP1 included, then you don't have the partition size limit.

    As you say, still best practice to partition large disks into more
    easily imaged/copied user and OS partitions.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Kent W. England in this thread has given you a response with regard to
    advantages of using separate partitions. Windows XP with SP-1 installed and
    using NTFS as opposed to FAT32 can support drives as large as 2 terabytes.
    The limiting factor would be what your motherboard and BIOS support.

    --

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > I'm building a new PC with 1 physical HDD (200 GB). I plan on creating
    >> > few
    >> > partitions on it...
    >> >
    >> > Question:
    >> >
    >> > Is there an advantage to installing WinXP PRO in its own partition
    >> > (used
    >> > only for the OS)? Example -- create a 30GB partition which would only
    > be
    >> > used for XP -- all other software and apps would be installed in a
    >> > different
    >> > partition.
    >> >
    >> > I thought this would make reloading the OS easier later on if I had to
    >> > since --theoretically -- the other partitions could remain untouched if
    >> > had to reinstall Windows...
    >> >
    >> > Please advise if this is worth while... If so How big of a partition
    >> > should
    >> > be allocated for XP PRO? Thanks in advance.

Configuration Partition Microsoft Windows XP