miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Just what I have looked into in the water cooling topic and looking at some websites. Any suggestions for websites for info looked at forums but the "language" is forign to me. Just need help getting started on ideas and research.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd highly suggest you soak up as much information as you can.

A little tip: please do yourself a favor and read as much as you can BEFORE you start asking questions that are easily answered by 1000's of other Q/A's. We don't enjoy answering 'what should I get', but rather more well-thought-out and specific questions pertaining to concepts covered in basic knowledge. The more you are willing to help yourself learn and understand the more willing others are to help fill in the gaps.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

I see your point.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Not a problem, just like to help point people in the right directions...especially those willing to learn about what they are asking about...not people just seeking the opinion of a complete stranger on what to spend hundreds of dollars on, with potentially negative results.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

I see that! believe me I have lots of reaseach to do like I mentioned before. I don't just buy based on what others say I take a suggestion and research Again thanlks

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Use plain distilled water. Avoid coolant, they advertise coolant so they can sell you something while distilled water is basically is in many ways better and a lot cheaper.

Always rinse your parts with distilled water and not tap water. Depending on where you live, there is always a little bacteria and algae count in tap water. A little algae can multiply very fast in perfect warm temperatures of a water cooling loop.

You can run some biocide but personally never found the need to. Just keep your stuff clean.

Don't use coloring in your fluid because they can stain your tubing and reservior and maybe cause gunk build up in waterblocks. Just use UV reactive tubing if you like the color. Tubing stays UV reactive longer anyway.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks more info to take in I love it. I do have a question though I cant seem to find any information on the differences a 3/8" id to a 1/2" id tubing will make thermally in a loop. Second is it bad to use too many quick disconnect pieces. (am planning to use qd on CPU,Radiator) I cant seem to find anything about that.

I have figured out 2 (well actually 3) possible set ups so far 2 involve "pieces" and the third would be the swifttech 220 apex for a rear mount. 1 and 2 will have a case mod which i am totally comfortable with. I put what I am looking at in the images.

Plan 1
waterplan3.jpg

Plan 2
waterplan4.jpg

This one probably gives me a easier (nicer) GPU loop add on expansion.
Plan 3
Rear mounted Swifttech 220 Apex (least favorite)

I would like to get some "areas of opportunity" suggestions.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
"(am planning to use qd on CPU,Radiator)" and the reason is...?
both of your " setups" will work just fine ,you can add another radiator later or buy nice 3x120 or 4x120 now and get it over with,try to mount your rad so it's sucking cold fresh air

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

I guess my thinking so the cleaning and or expansion is easier.... and I'm guessing it is a distorted thinking..lol "sucking cold air in" I'm thinking that If I top mount it inside the case put the fans on the outside top of case blowing in, and reversing the 200 in the front of case to blow out..... Need to stop thinking out loud.. will put that on work out kinks list.. Thanks for your insight. Shows I have lots more to research

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
You almost there, "sucking cold air in"(pulling fresh air,sorry):),it tends to work better
"reversing the 200 in the front of case to blow out"-you better of pushing it out with good exhaust fan on the back

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Ok so I do know what you mean by "sucking cold air in" So the top fans would be blowing into the case from the outside air... 3x 120mm on top outside of case, mount rad inside case.
(I dont think 3 120's and rad will work inside case as it will probaly interfere with motherboard)
So leave the front 200mm, and the side 200mm blowing in the case as-is. 120mm in the back pulling air out correct??? I think I got it!!

I also have a 140mm on the bottom of case with airflow going up... (pulling cold air from bottom of case)

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
it means pulling cold air through radiator(air in=>radiator=>fan=>air out)
if you have 2x 200mm fans for intake you can pull or push the air through top mount radiator you be fine,by" 3x120 or 4x120" i meant triple or quad radiator

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Got it!! Thanks Now its time to shop for a looking at a black ice gtx 360

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Quick disconnects are expensive and you have to make sure you get the right ones. I know that Skinnee did some tests on a handful; might check those out. A general rule of thumb for me is, if I am adding a component to a loop, I generally do a tear-down and cleaning at the same time. If I am going to be draining my loop; might as well clean everything and add new tubing as well.

You also want to make sure you look at the radiator benchmarks and comparisons on his site; this should help you determine what performance to expect from a typical loop with different fan models at different speeds.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Thanks rubix! Will check that out I appreciate the direction!

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Thanks rubix! Will check that out I appreciate the direction!

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

ortoklaz
Hi after taking a good look at my cm sniper internally, I noticed that there is a 45mm clearance between the top of the case and the motherboard. Space for 2 120mm fans(outside case on top under shroud), and 230mm length. It does not have the room to put a 120.3 rad inside the case. (only 2 of the 3 120mm fans will fit on top) Am I missing something here??

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It looks like you might be limited to a 220 rad in that location then, which will also mean you'd need another rad if you ever planned to add your GPU. A 220 should be fine for a single CPU loop, though, but if you plan on adding anything else, you'll need more radiators.