My computer:

I5-750
F3-Spinpoint 1 TB harddrive
P55A-UD3 motherboard
4 GB DDR3 ram
5850 graphics card
Tuniq tower extreme fan + Antec 902 case
Corsair 750W PSU

In the distant future I will be buying a generation 3 SSD as well.
EDIT: To clarify distant, I mean as soon as they come out in what looks like February :)

My question is this: is overclocking a good idea?

AND

How much is the lifespan lowered by overclocking hardware?

All I use it for is games and everyday life stuff, I don't do video editing or anything. I know that overclocking lowers the lifespan of hardware, and I didn't overclock because of that reason. I figure that I'll be upgrading by the time they die anyways, assuming parts last about 5 years or more.
5 answers Last reply
More about overclock question
  1. Hi.

1- What do u mean with generation 3 SSD?
    2- Overclocking is free performance if u want it u do it if u don't want don't do it as simple as that. Now with that rig definitely I will do OC :sol:
    3- I'm not sure about that but many OC users don't use a CPU and GPU more that 1 or 2 years.
  2. saint19 said:
    Hi.

1- What do u mean with generation 3 SSD?
    2- Overclocking is free performance if u want it u do it if u don't want don't do it as simple as that. Now with that rig definitely I will do OC :sol:
    3- I'm not sure about that but many OC users don't use a CPU and GPU more that 1 or 2 years.

Hello again, Saint.

1- One of these: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Confirms+25nm+NAND+Flash+in+Mass+Production+Heralds+New+SSD+Generation/article18415.htm Hopefully the release of these new ones will either drop the prices of SSDs out now or they will be significantly faster.

2- Which parts would you suggest I overclock? I'm quite the noob when it comes to overclocking, built the PC myself, but I've never overclocked, so I'd be relying on guides and suggestions a lot

3- Well I doubt I'd be replacing it that fast, but by the time 3 years roles around, I'm sure my computer will look like an antique, and from what I can tell, 3 years is very possible as long as it's not overclocked too much
  3. 1- I thought on that. A personal advice don't wait for new technology to buy it when this comes out usually the 1st version of it isn't the best and is very expensive.
    2- U can OC the CPU and GPU, I'd start with the CPU that is more friendly that the GPU. The 760 is a very good CPU but has lock multiplier that means that u only can OC rising the FBS but that also change the RAM speed. What speed if ur RAM?
    3- Don't worry I was talking for my self :lol: :sol:
  4. saint19 said:
    1- I thought on that. A personal advice don't wait for new technology to buy it when this comes out usually the 1st version of it isn't the best and is very expensive.
    2- U can OC the CPU and GPU, I'd start with the CPU that is more friendly that the GPU. The 760 is a very good CPU but has lock multiplier that means that u only can OC rising the FBS but that also change the RAM speed. What speed if ur RAM?
    3- Don't worry I was talking for my self :lol: :sol:

1- Yeah, I was gonna give it a month or so before buying it to give them a chance to fix problems. Just don't wanna buy some sort of obsolete hardware, like Intel G2

2- My ram is 1333 MHz. I just have to teach myself how to overclock everything, lol
  5. As long as you stay with the manufacturer's recommended voltage and temperature limits, overclocking will not significantly affect the life of the components.

I overclock my CPU's. I do not OC the video cards. I figure that the GPU's run hot enough anyway.

I also do not OC memory. I have several Core2 systems, and there just isn't enough benefit to make OC'ing memory worthwhile.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking