My computer:

I5-750
F3-Spinpoint 1 TB harddrive
P55A-UD3 motherboard
4 GB DDR3 ram
5850 graphics card
Tuniq tower extreme fan + Antec 902 case
Corsair 750W PSU

In the distant future I will be buying a generation 3 SSD as well.
EDIT: To clarify distant, I mean as soon as they come out in what looks like February :) 

My question is this: is overclocking a good idea?

AND

How much is the lifespan lowered by overclocking hardware?

All I use it for is games and everyday life stuff, I don't do video editing or anything. I know that overclocking lowers the lifespan of hardware, and I didn't overclock because of that reason. I figure that I'll be upgrading by the time they die anyways, assuming parts last about 5 years or more.

More about : overclock question

a c 311 K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 4:37:15 PM

Hi.

1- What do u mean with generation 3 SSD?
2- Overclocking is free performance if u want it u do it if u don't want don't do it as simple as that. Now with that rig definitely I will do OC :sol: 
3- I'm not sure about that but many OC users don't use a CPU and GPU more that 1 or 2 years.
m
l
October 4, 2010 4:49:04 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

1- What do u mean with generation 3 SSD?
2- Overclocking is free performance if u want it u do it if u don't want don't do it as simple as that. Now with that rig definitely I will do OC :sol: 
3- I'm not sure about that but many OC users don't use a CPU and GPU more that 1 or 2 years.

Hello again, Saint.

1- One of these: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Confirms+25nm+NAND+Flash... Hopefully the release of these new ones will either drop the prices of SSDs out now or they will be significantly faster.

2- Which parts would you suggest I overclock? I'm quite the noob when it comes to overclocking, built the PC myself, but I've never overclocked, so I'd be relying on guides and suggestions a lot

3- Well I doubt I'd be replacing it that fast, but by the time 3 years roles around, I'm sure my computer will look like an antique, and from what I can tell, 3 years is very possible as long as it's not overclocked too much
m
l
Related resources
a c 311 K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 5:00:53 PM

1- I thought on that. A personal advice don't wait for new technology to buy it when this comes out usually the 1st version of it isn't the best and is very expensive.
2- U can OC the CPU and GPU, I'd start with the CPU that is more friendly that the GPU. The 760 is a very good CPU but has lock multiplier that means that u only can OC rising the FBS but that also change the RAM speed. What speed if ur RAM?
3- Don't worry I was talking for my self :lol:  :sol: 
m
l
October 4, 2010 5:12:43 PM

saint19 said:
1- I thought on that. A personal advice don't wait for new technology to buy it when this comes out usually the 1st version of it isn't the best and is very expensive.
2- U can OC the CPU and GPU, I'd start with the CPU that is more friendly that the GPU. The 760 is a very good CPU but has lock multiplier that means that u only can OC rising the FBS but that also change the RAM speed. What speed if ur RAM?
3- Don't worry I was talking for my self :lol:  :sol: 

1- Yeah, I was gonna give it a month or so before buying it to give them a chance to fix problems. Just don't wanna buy some sort of obsolete hardware, like Intel G2

2- My ram is 1333 MHz. I just have to teach myself how to overclock everything, lol
m
l
a c 198 K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 7:19:23 PM

As long as you stay with the manufacturer's recommended voltage and temperature limits, overclocking will not significantly affect the life of the components.

I overclock my CPU's. I do not OC the video cards. I figure that the GPU's run hot enough anyway.

I also do not OC memory. I have several Core2 systems, and there just isn't enough benefit to make OC'ing memory worthwhile.
m
l