Sign in with
Your question

Fry's Graphic Card Prices

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2009 3:27:08 AM

I have a question that i was bottled up at.

So far i've been using a GTX 260 192 core which i gotten from frys a week ago for $199 + Tax = $220

I've seen online that the 4870 was around $189 and would like to return my GTX for this instead.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I didn't want to buy it online though, but i went to Fry's and their prices for it was like stinkin $299. It even had all the same specs as the one online besides it was made by Diamond.

Anyone wanna tell me why?
March 28, 2009 3:48:50 AM

Because B&M can charge whatever they want for it and online retailers have to be competitive or they loose business.
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2009 1:05:01 PM

What a concept, you can find stuff cheaper online!
You have discovered one of the greatest kept secrets of the web.
How did you ever do it?
Congrats.
Here is why:
You have an online retail business.
You have 1 warehouse, 100 employees, and everyone in the world as a potential customer who has a PC.
Your cost of doing business is relatively low.

You have a retail chain store.
You have 30 stores, 3 warehouse's, 1500 employees, and only can serve each area where there is a store.
Your cost of doing business is relatively much higher.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2009 3:14:55 PM

Fry's has some great deals, but the bulk of their items are over priced. The only things I ever buy there are their CPU/Mobo combos. You need to know what fair prices are before you walk in there.

Fry's is also known for their lousy and even illegal business methods, so always be informed.
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2009 4:15:11 PM

I love shopping at Fry's, but only after watching the sales until a really good deal comes along. Otherwise, yeah, they are a abit of a ripoff like any brick and mortar. Not as bad as Best Buy, but definitely not a s good as online.
March 28, 2009 5:25:40 PM

Seriously even if you have quams about buying online its where the industry is going. Security is ten times that of walking into a store and handing a human being your credit card. If your worried about that or if you dont have one spend 5 min at your local bank or credit union and get a debit card. its worth it you save money you save time and your world opens up as far as what you can get and where you can get it from. Join the digital revolution.
March 28, 2009 5:37:26 PM

Just buy online. I have purchased over $5000.00 from www.newegg.com and have had zero issues. It is way cheaper than Fry's and you do not have to deal with a sales person that is clueless, and their super high prices. Give Fry's the finger and just buy online. I do not go to a B&M unless I have to and even then I do not go to Fry's unless every other electronics store in my area does not have what I need.
March 28, 2009 5:47:13 PM

I buy most of my stuff at newegg, but i got my e8500 from fry's for 150 bucks about 7 months ago. neweggs price even now is $179
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2009 11:22:43 AM

I ALWAYS buy at Frys. You have to do your homework, and know what you want before you ever go. If you need a sales persons help, or expect someone who works there to offer sound advice on what to buy, you do NOT need to be shopping at Frys. They have decent deals, better than most any other retail chain store. They have a liberal return policy. They have a HUGE selection.
If I pay for something, like PC hardware especially, I want to be able to hold it in my hand and inspect it before I spend money. I will pay more for that gratification.
I have had to take things back. I prefer to get in my car, drive there immediately, talk to a person face to face, and resolve my problem NOW.
For these reasons, I do not buy online. But it is my preference, I am sure I am in the minority, and if you want the absolute best deals, but don't mind waiting a few days, or dealing with returns that might take weeks, or simply do not live close to a good retail outlet for PC parts (there aren't very many Frys around), then by all means you should buy online.
March 29, 2009 12:05:26 PM

jitpublisher said:
What a concept, you can find stuff cheaper online!
You have discovered one of the greatest kept secrets of the web.
How did you ever do it?
Congrats.
Here is why:
You have an online retail business.
You have 1 warehouse, 100 employees, and everyone in the world as a potential customer who has a PC.
Your cost of doing business is relatively low.

You have a retail chain store.
You have 30 stores, 3 warehouse's, 1500 employees, and only can serve each area where there is a store.
Your cost of doing business is relatively much higher.

The post was why a GTX 260 was priced at 200 and a 4780 at 300.

A GTX 260 costs about 200 online. I believe he was curious as to why the 4870 has a much higher premium while the gtx260 does not.

And I have not had any problems buying online from newegg.com. All of the parts in my current computer are from newegg.com, I have been using newegg for over 5 years and only returned an item once.

!