Your question

AMD 955BE 4ghz heat problem.

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 6:06:57 PM

Hello,

Just recently I bought my new system meant for overclocking. I decided to try to overclock my 955BE to 4ghz, which worked to my surprise. I found that I could get it 30 mins of prime95 and LinX stable at only 1.42v! Now I know this is no guarantee that it will be stable for longer periods of time but it's still pretty exceptional. On the net I found that many had to raise their voltages much higher to achieve this so I guess I got really lucky on my chip (C3).

Anyway, problem is: at only 1.42v the cores will heat up to 59c on LinX and 56c on Prime 95 which I think is a bit high considering the relatively low voltages. I use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and AS5 for cooling btw.

So, could anyone tell me if this is normal or if I should try to reseat the cooler and reapply thermal paste? All help is appreciated.
October 4, 2010 8:27:10 PM

on the 955BE the common point to run at full stress is in the low 60's mainly arount 61-63C. even at the lower voltages you can still create a lot of contained heat inside your case if you dont have enough hot air being removed from you case fast enough you can have a great CPU cooler that will only be putting the hot air off the CPU into the case's atmosphere making it harder to cool your processor. it's normall good to find a good configuration on your fans to make all air flow the same way and have a couple fans just pulling hot air from the case. by having all fans flowing th same way you create a wind tunnel effect and you will no longer have fans fighting against each other. the way you comfigure your fans for best flow is independant to every case so tinker with your fans direction of flow and see if you can drop a few degrees ;) 
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 8:52:24 PM

Hi JFamd and welcome to Tom's forum.

Test the rig more time prime95 2 hours, LinX 1 hour or OCCT 3 hours with that u can know if the rig is fully stable and the temps that u will get.

Check if u don't apply too much thermal grease that can also be a problem.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2010 10:59:07 PM

If it helps my 550BE C2 unlocked to 4 core @ 3.7GHz 1.475V ran exactly 30C (51C) over room temp with the 212+ and single stock fan.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 2:16:02 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Just recently I bought my new system meant for overclocking. I decided to try to overclock my 955BE to 4ghz, which worked to my surprise. I found that I could get it 30 mins of prime95 and LinX stable at only 1.42v! Now I know this is no guarantee that it will be stable for longer periods of time but it's still pretty exceptional. On the net I found that many had to raise their voltages much higher to achieve this so I guess I got really lucky on my chip (C3).

Anyway, problem is: at only 1.42v the cores will heat up to 59c on LinX and 56c on Prime 95 which I think is a bit high considering the relatively low voltages. I use a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and AS5 for cooling btw.

So, could anyone tell me if this is normal or if I should try to reseat the cooler and reapply thermal paste? All help is appreciated.

AMD quad-cores run a little hot compared to dual and triple cores because they have more cores. Really. When it comes to overclocking, I've had great stability as long as I keep them below 65C. I'm usually limited to around 3.6 GHz at temperatures of 65C or above, but can usually keep them going at 4 GHz if I keep the temperature a little lower.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 2:37:48 AM

Your complaining about 59C at 4GHz under LinX!? You have excellent temps for that CPU running at 4GHz. Yeah those AMD chips run a bit hot. Like Crashman says, as long as you keep it under 65C I wouldn't worry about it. My chip doesn't like going over 63, but then I have a C2 chip so I can't trust the thermal diode to be 100% accurate :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 1:57:46 PM

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, all of your replies were very helpful. I'll run Prime and LinX for longer periods of time to really put system stability to the test as you suggested. Also, my case is an Antec 300 with all cables tucked away nicely so airflow shouldn't really be a problem except for the fact that both fans that came with it were pre-installed to exhaust air. I'm not sure whether to install another fan since the 300 does have some really good ventilation in my opinion (with its sieve-like front panel and optional fan mounting hole on the side). I guess I'll do some tests to find out if my case temperatures are okay. But like you said, I'm probably overworrying.
!