In my system information software environment no network connections

MamaGerig

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Is the NetBios over Tcpip supposed to be disabled?

I can't get online suddenly after cleaning out some files.

In Network Connections the LAN Local Area Connection 5 is unplugged with a red X and I can't find anything (I've been working on this for 2 days.

Is there any way to fix this?

MamaGerig

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Thanks so much for your help! I'm not sure what you mean in your answer...but if that is what happened, how do I go about fixing it? I need to let you know that I did re-format the Dell programming, getting instructions from their site in hopes that it would solve things. So now it's like a brand new pc (though from 2004). But no, it did nothing to help things...now I want to re-install Windows XP to see if that would help. Am I doing the right thing?

G

To check TCP/IP go:

Start, Control Panel, Network Connections --
if no Connections are listed click on the Network Wizard.

If Connections are listed click on one and when a window appears stating This Connection uses the following....scroll down that list and look for TCP/IP

If TCP/IP is missing press Install and follow the instructions.

If TCP/IP is present highlight it and check Properties and make sure Obtain DNS and IP Address automatically are both ticked.

From some of your comments, I think you probably need some hands-on help here -- larger computer retailers have services like Geek Squad and some small computer techs advertise in local newspapers. Might be worth paying someone to sort out your machine.

However, with a 2004 vintage machine I think the cost of maintenance might look unattractive compared with that of replacement.

G

Thanks for taking the time to help, I really apprciate it.

---------------------------------------
http://www.secure-bytes.com/