4870X2 following the trend - early extinction

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, it at least appears that the 4870X2 is falling upon the same fate as all the other dual-GPU cards, early retirement.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106792627+1067940679&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= Only 3 models left on Newegg. Two days ago their were all 9 models left.

This could also be early indication that they are clearing stock for a 4890X2 if there is to be one.

OT, IMHO, the new 295 which will be a single pcb, my reasons for nVidia doing this is because theyll be using GDDR5, and theres no good reason to use 2 pcbs since the traces are sooo much easier to run

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I noticed the same thing earlier this morning when responding to a post about a 4870x2. Most of e-Tailers have a limited supply.

There must be something coming soon that will replace them.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Ive said it once and ill say it again. Dual gpu cards are a sad idea. The cost is annoying. There are more rooms for problems in production and just over the life of the card. They are less friendly to upgrade. not to mention out of all the problems ive read with performance and driver problems dual gpu cards are always on top of the list. If you want dual gpus go with a good motherboard and do a true crossfire or sli setup. its smoother and if one of the cards dies you arnt screwed for the whole 400 or whatever you spent on that card and can easily replace the secondary card.

FragTamer

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
No wonder! Absolute garbage card. Who in there right mind would buy one knowing how much of a lemon they are. I bought mine out of confidence of the performance I've had from previous ATI cards. I have had an Asus EAH4870X2 running for 4days now. In that time I've had temporary and permanent black screening and micro stuttering. In the game Guild Wars, window mode is dark and pixilated. It was not doing that when I first got it, but now it is. Others have had issues in World Of Warcraft. Crisis runs ok, until the dark lord come and takes the fun away. I'd be happy if it would just blow up so I can get a refund on it. I'm not interested in things like, "perhaps it's your PSU?" or anything that points towards any inability to build a nice system without checking compatabilities and blindly spending savings. Let me assure you that my spendings are not light and nor is my hardware.

All over the web it's the same story with random black screening. Yes get over it now and never buy a 4800 series as they are nothing more than ATI's sad attempt at holding the powerful GPU market.

If a complete product recall is not bought about on these, I will never touch another and I spend a lot! The company deserves to go under ripping people of like they do. I doubt that any BIOS or driver updates will fix it's issues as they have been the same issues for many months!!! Whats worse is they are still selling them! OMG! As of current Catalyst driver v9.4 under Vista 64bit, it's the same old thing.

Shove it AMD/ATI! I'm not happy with your junk and it wasted $850AU of mine. I can't send it back because if I do, they will test it, see a picture on their monitor, tell me it works an there is nothing more I can do.

If anyone is considering buying one of these, then you would have rocks in your head. I should listen to others more.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

:sarcastic:

Do i even have to say anything?....

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005

Why wouldn't you just RMA the fu**ing card?

The 4800 series kicks ass and just because you picked up a bad one doesn't mean their all for sh**!
And How do you know there is something wrong with the chip, what if there is a defect on the board that ATI didn't even manufacture?

Oh yeah, good job resurrecting a 3 week old post.

FragTamer

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Obviously you don't read, you just shoot off at the mouth. The card works (to a point) and thats what they'll use to send it back to me, "it's running" they'll say. Been there done that, their crooks around here and don't like returns. I've had to do some tweaking since to get it stable and so far it'sbeen behaving itself. but I shouldn't of had to. As for a 3 week old thread, if the forums had issues with people responding to (not such and old thread) then they would be in archive wouldn't they? But no, anyone can respond to where they deem fit and your not one to dictate that. Keep your language to a minimum too, it's not appreciated. Read through more forums mate, their are so many issues with the same problems on all of them, so yeah, thats makes them not so good. Or maybe you work for ATI?

OK, I'll post this, as its just a small sampling, but larger than any 1 persons experience
http://gpucafe.com/2009/03/modern-graphics-card-failure-rates/
Looking at the failure rates of the G200 series in this finding, going x2 is surely only going to raise those numbers. Which are high to begin with.
Sorry about the card you got, but not even trying to rma it means youre willing to settle for it

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
lol jesus christ it never ends...

For the record ATI christism will not be taken until a 2900 Xt successor card comes out or ATI screws up some how.

Till then ATI is king and Nvidia is ***, thats how it is with the forum lol.

Just like Nvidia was king when the magical 2900 XT was out.

Its a type of employee of the season routine.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Neither of my 4870 X2s or the one I put in a customer's PC have ever had these problems. Kindly go away.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Kindly go away.

lol nice:)

I'd have to say that the X2 is not a bad card, I had 1 for a couple of months, and if it weren't for the unstable results in drivers, it would def be an ACE in my book. I'd def recommend it over a 295 GTX any day, especially with the drivers 9.4 out now.

The only reason I sold it was, because it was basically un touched in my secondary, and really X2 cards are just not on my plate.
So i'd have to agree that your personal experiences are appreciated but shouldn't be taken as global fact.

Video card failure happens with ever card, and a simple RMA can fix it. We won't see any Xbox 360 cards out there, I should hope not, but apparently the G200 series was getting close.

As to finally answer the X2 extinction, I find unlikely, just because it does run cheaper than the 295 GTX for not that much performance hit. I also read an article that the 4890 X2 seems highly unlikely, and I'd have to agree that it really shouldn't be ATi's priority.

I would much rather like to see a 4770 X2 card than a 4890 X2 just because it would make much more sense, seeing as the 4770 is a low end card, and really attracts the low non sli/crossfire users generally, and an X2 would be great since alot of those users don't have dual PCI slot boards.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I agree with everything you said L1qu1d, but since the 4870 X2 is definitely getting phased out then there must be something coming. I guess the 4890 X2 is coming after all, whether that was a good idea or not remains to be seen.

FragTamer

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Except that your argument fails in that the amount complaining is just a minority of those that bought one and for all thos ethat are complaining, there are plenty more who aren't. Going by your logic, every gfx card ever released is a filaure as every gfx card has people complaining.

Bloody idiot go fcuk yourself if you think the language is bad.

LMAO! Did I get to this guy or what!? Seriously, I thing you lost your last GFX card up your arse and your discomfort has you on edge. Get help for that why don't you?

I've had many ATI cards as I said previously and all of them never let me down.. ever. I viewed the failure rates on Asus 4870X2 cards and have read many, many other forum threads about the black screening (not saying it's a GPU problem, just a combination of a couple of things making it do that). My opinion is shaped on my experience of a new one of these and many others with the same issues that i was unaware of when I bought the card until I too started to have issues and did some searching. There are many comments on my RMA'ing the card but that would force me to use my backup and as i said, RMA'ing in Australia through particular companies is very difficult. It 'appears' to be driver issues and settled somewhat after the v9.4 release but are minorly exsistant still.

Perhaps ATI will do it all again with a new dual GPU solution, but I'd like to see some stable changes in the cause of this cards misbehaviour before they go again.

I won't kindly go away, or fcuk myself or be titled as an idiot by a mouth shooter with his head plunged too deep up is butt and has no life because of it. But one thing i will do is continue to laugh at remarks like that and remain a member of these forums, which I like already! For those that want to act like jerks... BUMP!

The failure rate link was very much appreciated, but also does not point at ATI GPUs or drivers, just aftermarket card failures, be it or not to do with ATI or generic manufacturer is something that remains unknown.

RMA was never an option only a suggestion from someone else here because my card does not have total failure and will be seen as such upon RMA and initial testing so yes, I settle for it because I would rather now that I have it, attempt a workaround solution or wait for new drivers to be release and then see. How is that being an idiot if it's my money and I know how things work when it comes to returns around here. I live in a different country in case you didn't read the AU bit and US is huge comapred to resellers here.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Yes get over it now and never buy a 4800 series as they are nothing more than ATI's sad attempt at holding the powerful GPU market.
First of all, I doubt that you own every card that is in the 4800 series (That would include the 4830, 4850, 4870, 4890, 4850X2, 4870X2, and possibly the 4890X2). So don't go shooting off your mouth like an idiot because you had a problem with only 1 card.

I've had temporary and permanent black screening and micro stuttering
Second, you say that this just started happening, correct? It may have something to do with how hot the card is running.

Let me assure you that my spendings are not light
Finally, if that is true, then why buy the 4870X2 instead of the GTX 295?

monsta

Splendid
RMA was never an option only a suggestion from someone else here because my card does not have total failure and will be seen as such upon RMA and initial testing so yes, I settle for it because I would rather now that I have it, attempt a workaround solution or wait for new drivers to be release and then see. How is that being an idiot if it's my money and I know how things work when it comes to returns around here. I live in a different country in case you didn't read the AU bit and US is huge comapred to resellers here.

RMA here in Australia is a joke, been there done that and its more of a head ache than anything, so I hear ya Fragtamer, can take weeks just to get it tested and returned to you still f@#ked up so you just end up giving up.
Let the guy have his say, nothing worse than spending your good hard earned money and ending up with a faulty product.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009

User error is the biggest bug that these cards have. To bad that AMD/ATi can not fix some of these bugs.
I've been playing Guilds Wars for many years and have never experienced black screen, tried it on 7800gtx, 9600gt, 4850x2, 4870, and 2x 4870.

And good job on resurrecting old rumour thread.

FragTamer

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Hmmm, where else can I post about something... LOL! Thanks all for your input. At least I was able to distribute the v10 BIOS ROMs for people that accidently killed the BIOS in their cards elsewhere around the world and got them running again so thats a good thing that came of all this and their thankful. Who knows, maybe one of you will end up with them?

I'll say once more though, my issues are not a minority if anyone bothered to do searches thoughout many other forums. Oh well heads up. The card is behaving itself of late so I'm not going to keep griping or anything, it was just disappointing and in AU, their a very expensive imported card that i know I wouldn't be able to RMA no user bug, I definately not a total noob.

By the way hahaha... bump

Have a great day ;-)

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
my issues are not a minority
I doubt that. Let me ask you a question; If you had a good 4870X2 would you be griping about it? I dont think you would, same with everyone else who has a good 4870X2.
I definately not a total noob
Maybe not a noob at computers, but definitely a noob at grammar :p lol jk