Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Corsair CWCH50 water cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2010 10:17:34 PM

Considering a new build. Won't be for gaming, but mainly light video editing and photo restoration.

Looking at some cooler options. Case will be a Lian Li AO5NB. All prices include shipping.
  • ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - about $36
  • XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler I5 775 AMD compatible - about $35
  • ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - about $63
  • CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler - about $88

All but the Corsair are obviously air coolers and I'm pretty sure they will all fit the Lian Li case (sucker is about 8 1/4" wide - 210mm). Other than the obvious price difference what I really like about the Corsair is the clean installation - no big, old HS, just the contact head. Obviously no issues either about problems with memory modules overlap. The fan setup on the Corsair also duplicates the rear fan action on the Lian Li (rear fan is an intake fan, front fan is an exhaust fan).

Looking for performance opinions from anyone using or familar with the CWCH50 vs any of the air coolers listed. I'm aware that I could probably significantly upgrade my CPU choice with one of the less expensive coolers but this is just in the getting information stages now.

TIA
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 12:10:33 AM

ALL depends on the CPU you are going to be using.

An AMD will be perfectly happy on AIR or the H50.

An Intel i7 won't like any of your AIR choices but will work OK with the H50 if you don't OC much and replace the fans. High end air will work better though.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 12:13:00 AM

The Zalman is old, so that's out.

The H50 is too expensive for the performance it provides so that's out. The H50 is about the same performance as a good air cooler.

The Freezer Pro r2 is bested by a bunch of other coolers so that's out.

That leaves you with the S1283.

Mind listing full specs? I'm assuming you will be OCing and noise levels are not much of a consideration.

edit:
    Quote:

An Intel i7 won't like any of your AIR choices but will work OK with the H50 if you don't OC much and replace the fans. High end air will work better though.

I disagree. The S1283 can cool a i7 920/930 perfectly fine to about 4Ghz with decent voltages (basically, no insane OCing with a lot of voltage).

The H50 performs less than the S1283: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=252...
    The S1283: 16.8C Delta T.
    H50: 20.7C Delta T.
    That's a 4C cooler for the S1283 and about 1/2 the price.
    So yeah....
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 12:36:07 AM

Shadow703793 said:
    I disagree. The S1283 can cool a i7 920/930 perfectly fine to about 4Ghz with decent voltages (basically, no insane OCing with a lot of voltage).

Based on Frosty's review it does about the same as the 212+, albeit the S1283 is a bit more substantial than the 212+, I still wouldn't recommend it for the heat output of an OCed i7 processor. It may be borderline but I just don't like borderline for temperatures on a $300 processor. And we both know that an i7 OCed to 4.0 Ghz is putting out a LOT more than 150w, as in Frosty's test scenario.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2010 12:40:17 AM

Shadow703793 said:
    The Zalman is old, so that's out.

The H50 is too expensive for the performance it provides so that's out. The H50 is about the same performance as a good air cooler.

The Freezer Pro r2 is bested by a bunch of other coolers so that's out.

That leaves you with the S1283.

Mind listing full specs? I'm assuming you will be OCing and noise levels are not much of a consideration.

I'm looking at both a AMD and an Intel build.

AMD build
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD MB
    Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
    Corsair VX 550W 80 Plus Certified Single 12V rail Power Supply
    Lian Li AO5NB case
    Windows 7 HP 64-bit

Intel build
    Intel Core i3 Processor i3-540 3.06GHz 4MB LGA1156 CPU BX80616I3540
    Gigabyte Socket 1156/Intel H55/DDR3/USB3/A&GbE/ATX Motherboard GA-H55-USB3
    All the rest of the components same as above.

As to OCing I might try a small OC but nothing radical. First time OCer so I don't want to get carried away! In reality, not a priority, just would like to try it. Noise level is important but not at the sake of performance or safety of components.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 12:48:53 AM

Neither of your choices are producing a lot of heat.

So, in this case the S1283 would be fine, and for even less money the 212+ would work great too. Also the H50 would work fine for either one as well.

For photo and video work, I would definitely look at the i5 750/760 instead of the i3 540 though, just a suggestion if you decide to go Intel.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2010 1:18:19 AM

RJR said:
    Neither of your choices are producing a lot of heat.

So, in this case the S1283 would be fine, and for even less money the 212+ would work great too. Also the H50 would work fine for either one as well.

For photo and video work, I would definitely look at the i5 750/760 instead of the i3 540 though, just a suggestion if you decide to go Intel.

I've always been an Intel user but the more I look at AMD the more I'm impressed with their price to performance ratio. Not spending $88 on a cooler would add some cash to the choice for a CPU. Any suggestions in the AMD line or is the 3.0 Propos adequate for my needs?

As stated in my OP the most attractive thing for me about the H50 is how small the footprint inside the case is. It IS expensive though so using a similar or better performance, lower cost air cooler makes sense.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 1:58:12 AM

What are your needs? You didn't even list them. The propus overall though is sufficient for anything minor like gaming. The extra cores do show though in multitasking. It also does pretty decent in gaming as well. The thing is though, with the money you save from the H50, from the S1283 - H50 is about 53$, that can be added to the cpu budget and put you around 150. At that point I'd buy the 955, the reason being the price just dropped recently from 160 to 150$ on newegg. So take a look at that. If 153$ is too expensive, then... pick from this list. The review is a bit old, but still can be applied for current prices.

Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 2:16:56 AM

^ Exactly. +1. Save the money from the cooler and spend it on the CPU.

@RJR: The H50 is ~the same as a TRUE: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h70/4.h...
    Considering that the S1283 can come very close to the TRUE120 there is no point in going with the H50, it just isn't worth the cost.

However, if you DO plan to go with the H50, you may as well go with the H70 for a little more. Or if you spend a total of ~$150 over the H70, you can have a true custom WCing loop for the CPU and this would blow away all air coolers and a H70.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2010 2:20:38 AM

aznshinobi said:
    What are your needs? You didn't even list them.

First line of OP: Considering a new build. Won't be for gaming, but mainly light video editing and photo restoration.
    The propus overall though is sufficient for anything minor like gaming. The extra cores do show though in multitasking. It also does pretty decent in gaming as well. The thing is though, with the money you save from the H50, from the S1283 - H50 is about 53$, that can be added to the cpu budget and put you around 150. At that point I'd buy the 955, the reason being the price just dropped recently from 160 to 150$ on newegg. So take a look at that. If 153$ is too expensive, then... pick from this list. The review is a bit old, but still can be applied for current prices.
    Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co... said:
    The propus overall though is sufficient for anything minor like gaming. The extra cores do show though in multitasking. It also does pretty decent in gaming as well. The thing is though, with the money you save from the H50, from the S1283 - H50 is about 53$, that can be added to the cpu budget and put you around 150. At that point I'd buy the 955, the reason being the price just dropped recently from 160 to 150$ on newegg. So take a look at that. If 153$ is too expensive, then... pick from this list. The review is a bit old, but still can be applied for current prices.
    Review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-co...

What's your opinion on this CPU? AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core - It's $17 less than the 955 and runs 95W instead of 125W.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 2:22:07 AM

^ +2

Aha, but If you find that you don't want to spend the extra on your cpu, if you feel that's sufficent, you could improve your graphics performance. Currently with the strong price competition, an extra 53$ can make a huge difference in the GPU you get. For instance, you have 90$ you can get a 4850, but with the extra 53$. You could upgrade a huge amount to a 5770. Huge graphical difference-ish.

Lawl I failed so hard right there. Umm Wattage, not a big deal. Performance-wise you'll actually see a difference. I'd fork up the 17$ for the 955. Mainly because the 955 is a BE, so when your OCing It'll be SOO much easier since you have a seperate multi. While with the 945, ocing won't be as easy. However, for your needs, you won't need the extra ocing or good gpu. So the 945 is good enough. However if you plan to oc to 4.0ghz the performance may increase dramatically for video editing. But your just lightly video editing so... I think the Propus would probably even be good enough. Standard video editing I'd probably go with the 945/955. Future-proofing for future uses I'd go with the 945/955 though.

SO yes I'd go with the 955/945.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2010 2:37:31 AM

Shadow703793 said:
    ^ Exactly. +1. Save the money from the cooler and spend it on the CPU.

OK guys, I'm convinced :)  I'll invest in upgrading the CPU. Thanks for the information and advice.

m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 2:46:21 AM

^ Yup. That should make a noticeable differnce, esp. in CPU bound games like FSX and GTAIV.
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 3:16:38 AM

Shadow703793 said:
    @RJR: The H50 is ~the same as a TRUE: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h70/4.h...
    Considering that the S1283 can come very close to the TRUE120 there is no point in going with the H50, it just isn't worth the cost.

The only reason I brought up the H50 was that the OP said he really liked it.

Referencing an Overclockersclub review is very ironic, you have no idea. :D  Thanks.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2010 5:58:08 PM

There seems to be an issue with using the S1283 on the AM3 board I'm considering (ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3). The only way to mount the S1283 is horizontally. That would appear to block at least the first RAM slot.

I know I could use slots 3 & 4 to install the 4GB (2x2GB) sticks I'm planning on getting but if I were to decide to increase RAM I wouldn't be able to add 2 2x2Gb sticks. I would have to purchase 2x4GB sticks. Any suggestions as to a good cooler in the $40 range that would allow the first RAM slot to be used on the AM3 board?
    m
    l
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 5, 2010 8:54:20 PM

I *think* you will be fine if you just rotate the heatsink OR if you use pretty short RAM (ie, not Dominators,etc). I haven't used the EVO with that heatsink so I can't really tell you much. Have you considered the Hyper 212+? I think that would work.
    m
    l
    a b K Overclocking
    October 6, 2010 7:25:19 AM

FWIW, the H50 will leave all of your RAM slots open and will not limit you on the type of heat spreaders you can use.
    m
    l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
    a c 330 K Overclocking
    October 6, 2010 1:30:29 PM

You can spend the extra $20-$40 you save with the quality air cooler and upgrade other components vs. the H50 that costs more and performs ~on par. RAM clearance isn't worth spending a premium on a cooler that won't outperform another, cheaper cooler. Besides, people get too wrapped up in those crazy RAM heat spreader designs; DDR2 and DDR3 runs pretty cool to begin with...but I suppose these are the same people buying the H50 to begin with...
    a b à CPUs
    a b K Overclocking
    October 6, 2010 3:52:05 PM

^ Damn agree with that. There really is no need for those fancy Dominator,etc RAM sinks as long as you have enough airflow it should be fine.
    m
    l
    October 10, 2010 5:03:10 PM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
    m
    l
    !