G

I have built 2 computers with Gigabyte motherboards: EP454-UD3R and EG45M-UD2H. In both the BIOS reports that the system temp is around 38-40 degrees and the cpu temp 8-10 degrees lower. CoreTemp indicates that both cores of the cpus (Core Duo 7200 and 7400 respectively) are identical to the system temps recorded by EasyTune HW monitor. SpeedFan reports speeds of the system and cpu fans identical to those reported by EasyTune, but associates the lower temp with the slower fans. I suspect that the BIOS has mislabeled the temps on both boards. Gigabyte tech support says everything is "in spec" and wishes that I would stop pestering them. Both boards function normally. I am just curious and wonder if this is normal behavior.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Very common issue. Look, these build in temp sensors are never hightech. They are not calibrated so the monitoring software used must do the calibration. Probably the bios and the monitor you use in windows use diffrent sorts of calibration wich results in different temps. Other programs like core temp allow you to manually do the calibration. This for people who have hardware to read correct temps and them they change the calibration in the software so it reads the same values.

viajero

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
My query is not about the accuracy of the temp measurements. I wonder why the Gigabyte bios and EasyTune label the higher temps System while CoreTemp and Speed Fan label them Cpu? From my reading I have thought that the cpu is generally the hottest component of the system.

bilbat

Splendid
The apps are all pretty peculiar - here's a listing from Hardware Monitor:
hwmonitord.jpg

Note the two GPU voltages and temps - from two cards... Now look at this one, which shows four temps, all different:
hwmonitorrtm.jpg

The difference? Same program, same installation; first one running on 7x64RC1, second on 7x64RTM!