Best PC Speakers for 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaitan00

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I've got an old pair of (2.1) PC speakers that I've been using since 2004 (Samsung), they worked perfectly fine (200W sub, 2x 14W speakers) and they just died on me - so obviously I'm looking for a replacement...

Most of my time is spent watching shows on my PC (TV), gaming, and some music - I am by far not a music audiofile expert but I appreciate quality sound. I'm looking to spend between $75 - $200 (USD) for a nicer pair of speakers - now the only question is ... which ones ...

I've done some reading and 2 things really suprised me:
1- I would have assumed (5.1) was the way of the future, but for my needs (and in general) most reviewers seem to recommend (2.1) instead, for the price/quality that is
2- The highest rated speakers are from 2004 !...!

Seems the general concensus is the following:
1- (2.1) Logitech Z-2300
2- (2.1) Altec Lansing's VS2321
3- (2.1) Harman Kardon Soundsticks

Seriously ... the best on the market is still an old 2004 PC speakers...?
I do not have a hard time believing that (2.1) is best for my needs (and price) but to go for a system like the Logitech Z-2300 (from 2004..?)

So, obviously I'm here looking for feedback, I love "nifty" speakers (like the SoundSticks which look like an awsome Jellyfish) but they still have to work well (15W sub is pretty pathetic no?) ....

Any comments, feedback, ideas, etc... would be much appreciated - having a hard time swallowing that in 2009 I'll be buying 2004 speakers again...
Thanks,

Bose makes a pair of speakers that will blow those away. They're a bit more at 250 dollars.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836166005

If you can find them the Klipsch promedia 2.1 was the best for the money at 150 dollars.
http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-2-1.aspx
My brother found these at a freakin thrift store for 50 bucks.

But if your willing to actually setup a surround sound system my money went to the z5500 from logitech. Great sound, and has a optical, and digital coaxial cable input for other devices. Once you've gamed in surround sound it's hard to see how you did w/o it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120

Bose=crap.

Seriously. If you care about quality, rather than advertising, look elsewhere. I'd probably go for something like an M-Audio Studiophile AV40, M-Audio Studiophile BX5a deluxe, Audioengine A2 or A5, or Swan M200. The best you could do would be to get a good set of bookshelf speakers and a separate amp, but that could get expensive, and is also a lot larger than most computer speakers are. That's what my setup is - I have a 2.1 setup with a Denon AVR 2808 reciever, B&W 685 speakers, and an SVS PC-Plus 16-46 sub.

(Oh, and to be perfectly fair, Bose do sound decent for cheap speakers. The only problem is that they aren't cheap, so for their price, they are terrible)

Those aren't bad. They won't match the ones I mentioned for clarity, but they should beat most Logitech and Bose setups, and they also give you full surround for a decent price.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
"They won't match the ones I mentioned for clarity"

I wouldn't be so sure about that my Xonar D2X matched with these titanium supertweeters and triple voice coil sub, it don't get much clearer than that. A good 5.1 is much better than a good 2.1 and a good 7.1 is much better than a good 5.1, I know I have both. I have a Fatality driving my 5.1.

I disagree. I'd put my 2.1 setup against your 7.1 any day of the week.

On a slightly more realistic note, yes, yours may have titanium tweeters, but that alone does not make a good speaker. It has to do with a combination of factors, and although yours are quite nice (as I said, nicer than Logitech or Bose, both of which tend not to use tweeters at all), I would be quite surprised if they beat the M-Audio BX5a deluxe for example, which use absolutely wonderful 1" silk dome tweeters. Similarly, the Audioengine A5 uses a 20mm silk dome tweeter that is quite nice. Having heard many creative speaker sets (though admittedly not that specific one), I have a hard time believing that they could match these for clarity. Of course, the Creative setup is a lot cheaper per speaker than the ones I'm mentioning too - it's $400-$500 for a 7.1 setup, and most of the ones I'm talking about are $300-$400 for a 2.1 or 2.0.

(Oh, and if you want unmatched clarity, you need to hear a set of high end B&W 800 series speakers. Their diamond dome tweeters are absolutely phenomenal. Of course, the speakers that come with those tweeters start at about $8k per pair...)

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
$500? That's what they cost now, my speaker's have a couple of years on them. I paid a little over $700.00 back in 06. I have no doubt technology will pass me by, it always does but I think back to this; appreciate what you have, not what don't have. Peace "C".

Couldn't stretch to that as I only have two kidneys to sell and I still came up short, so I had to settle for a pair of B&W DM604 S2's with a B&W AS2 sub and a Rotel RB-1070 power amp with a Rotel RA-05 as a pre-amp, I'm probably not the best one to advise the OP on how to to do sounds for $100 or less :lol: .

Those 604 S2 are 1 gen older than my 685s, right (and of course they're floorstanders...)? I love my 685s - they sound great, especially given the price range (I got mine for $650 a pair).

Also, how's that sub? I've heard mixed reports on the B&W subs, and I haven't had a chance to hear one yet. I love my SVS, though to be perfectly fair, they aren't really in the same price bracket.

I find it quite subtle, unlike some which get a bit too 'thumpy' it reinforces the 604's nicely without ever becoming overpowering or buzzy and my 604's are about ten years old now and still going strong so I've no need to make my wallet whimper just yet on another newer set, however should I ever win the lottery a set of Nautilus will be first on my shopping list. :)

Yeah - that's actually one of the best signs of a good sub. Mine will gladly take over the room and make you wonder if the foundation will hold, but only when there is supposed to be a lot of bass (typically in movies). In music, it is surprisingly subtle and in many cases, you can't even tell it is there. It extends deep and is effortlessly powerful, but it doesn't sound like what most people would think a powerful sub would with a lot of thump - it simply sounds like the speakers happen to extend below 20Hz.

Of course, I would still gladly take a pair of 800Ds and an SVS PB-13 ultra (or a JL Fathom 113) if I won the lottery, but I have to say, I'm quite happy with my system as it is for now.

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
the harmon and kardon soundsticks you mentioned are actually surprisingly good. they ripped all over my current 5.1 setup of a sherwood rd3095 amp, jamo sonics for front and backs, 100W sub and over average center speaker. Shame i swapped them with my mate for a 30gb ipod :p

shaitan00

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
perham3d: Sadly I'm having a hard time to finding the Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks at any stores in North America ...
Anyone know of a good store (online or not)?

tserich

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hmm I am also looking for 2.1 speakers

I think I am either going to get the Soundsticks or Promedia but I'm having trouble finding the Klipsch so I think I may go for the Soundsticks

The klipsch aren't bad - I had a set of those for a while. They certainly beat logitech and bose for clarity (if nothing else because they actually have a tweeter). My biggest complaint with them was actually the sub - it didn't have quite the clarity or depth that I would like (and if I can only have one trait in a sound system's bass, I'll take clarity over depth or power any day).

N@n0

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
You'll be happy with any logitech Z series speakers. The quality they get out of those are mind boggeling. I know there are alot of people that will disagree with me but hey, thats life. :)

Mind boggling?

Nah. They aren't bad, but the treble is sorely lacking (since they don't have tweeters), and although the bass is surprisingly powerful and deep, it's quite muddy. I'd take the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 instead of the Logitech.

G

The Genelec 8020 or 8030 series + Subwoofer like the 7060 or 7050 are plain superb for whatever you are doing.

As an alternative, you can keep on buying those Logitech, Altec Lansing and other 200 euro toys. And you can keep on buying them set after set as they will never be really good. Buying a set of Genelecs will serve you for 40 years, actually forever and the quality won´t be beaten of whatever new stuff comes up. The 8030 + Subwoofer makes 108 db with a subwoofer... that is true 108 db from a true 30hz to a true 20.000 hz. Not "made in Japan" type of "300w power" and all that BS.

Trust me. Buy them, no regret. End of bullshit.

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
The Genelec 8020 or 8030 series + Subwoofer like the 7060 or 7050 are plain superb for whatever you are doing.

As an alternative, you can keep on buying those Logitech, Altec Lansing and other 200 euro toys. And you can keep on buying them set after set as they will never be really good. Buying a set of Genelecs will serve you for 40 years, actually forever and the quality won´t be beaten of whatever new stuff comes up. The 8030 + Subwoofer makes 108 db with a subwoofer... that is true 108 db from a true 30hz to a true 20.000 hz. Not "made in Japan" type of "300w power" and all that BS.

Trust me. Buy them, no regret. End of bullshit.

I might not be able to afford them, but I sure would like to hear what they sound like....has to be nice.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Genelec-8030-LSE-Triple-Play-Two-8030As-and-one-7050B-sub?sku=581340

icenum

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Have pair of Klipsch promedia 5.1 modified cooling-amp though..love em :bounce: All 2.1 now never owned those but I hear there good.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/
Brother has set of anniversary-I picked up his old VR4SR neighbors bang on walls somenites idling... :kaola:

Status
Not open for further replies.