Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm a little curious about this, I heard a few places that overclocking this, from the stock of 100 to a higher number between 105-120 can increase system stability, GPU stability and even better overclocking potential.

I also heard that it can destroy your graphic card, and disable hardware like Sata HDD, sound cards and stuff.. I don't know how much of this is truth.

If anyone can enlighten me on this, whats true, whats false, what to take care for, etc?

Most of the old folks here will tell you to lock it at 100. And yes, there is a chance of damage from running it beyond 100-110Mhz.

As far as extreme OCing goes, yes OCing the PCIe speed can net you a bit more OC on the GPU and/or benchmark score.

The truth is, no one has really looked on to OCing the PCIe frequency in detail.

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually someone did a pretty in depth test here recently and posted it to the forums. It was the most comprehensive thing I have seen since the early days of PCI-E. I forgot who it was. Sorry about that, it was really informative.

The end results were just a few, like 2 or 3 more FPS. Not worth the risk of frying your GPU.

Slipperss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Thanks for the info guys, people are telling me different things, "It won't damage your vid card" "It will damage your vid card".

I don't know what to believe, I need to dig up some more information about this, as i really wanna OC it.

^ I know. It's kind of getting annoying answering all these OCing noob questions over and over again. I avoid answering most of the "I want to water cool" type threads as people just won't listen and don't do their home work. I miss the good ol' days.

Btw, have you posted this any where else? (ie. XS,etc).

Also, did you try to increase the PCIe voltages? I know in the older days (775, C2Ds) increasing PCIe voltages tend to allow you to OC the PCIe until about 140-150Mhz. The highest I'v seen is 147 Mhz or so.