Sign in with
Your question

PCIE Frequency

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2010 12:14:33 AM

I'm a little curious about this, I heard a few places that overclocking this, from the stock of 100 to a higher number between 105-120 can increase system stability, GPU stability and even better overclocking potential.

I also heard that it can destroy your graphic card, and disable hardware like Sata HDD, sound cards and stuff.. I don't know how much of this is truth.

If anyone can enlighten me on this, whats true, whats false, what to take care for, etc?

More about : pcie frequency

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 2:49:24 AM

Most of the old folks here will tell you to lock it at 100. And yes, there is a chance of damage from running it beyond 100-110Mhz.

As far as extreme OCing goes, yes OCing the PCIe speed can net you a bit more OC on the GPU and/or benchmark score.

The truth is, no one has really looked on to OCing the PCIe frequency in detail.
m
l
a c 256 U Graphics card
a c 105 K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 4:14:34 AM

Actually someone did a pretty in depth test here recently and posted it to the forums. It was the most comprehensive thing I have seen since the early days of PCI-E. I forgot who it was. Sorry about that, it was really informative.

The end results were just a few, like 2 or 3 more FPS. Not worth the risk of frying your GPU.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 4:25:32 AM

It's not surprising that there is little improvement in frame rates. Overclocking the PCIe bus might improve i/o to the card, but it won't affect the real bottleneck - the rendering engine deep inside the card.
m
l
October 5, 2010 2:51:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys, people are telling me different things, "It won't damage your vid card" "It will damage your vid card".

I don't know what to believe, I need to dig up some more information about this, as i really wanna OC it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 3:52:56 PM

^ Sweet. Thank you. Somehow I missed it.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 4:11:36 PM

Things can get buried pretty fast with all the heat sink and OC questions coming up over and over =P
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 8:51:22 PM

^ I know. It's kind of getting annoying answering all these OCing noob questions over and over again. I avoid answering most of the "I want to water cool" type threads as people just won't listen and don't do their home work. I miss the good ol' days.

Btw, have you posted this any where else? (ie. XS,etc).

Also, did you try to increase the PCIe voltages? I know in the older days (775, C2Ds) increasing PCIe voltages tend to allow you to OC the PCIe until about 140-150Mhz. The highest I'v seen is 147 Mhz or so.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 9:11:39 PM

No, mainly I just post here and I browse some other forums like Overclockers.

My mobo doesn't support PCIe voltage, so no go there. You can see the BIOS in my thread.
m
l
!