CPU/mobo for a small business computer

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Quickbooks, Outlook, Excel, Word, Firefox, Photoshop (only for viewing, no editing), Adobe Reader.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Everything except for the computer. I might not need a DVD Burner if my old one uses the SATA interface.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, because I love their RMA process.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Bang for the buck.

OVERCLOCKING: A moderate overclock on the CPU if it helps. If I'm using the Phenom II X3 720, I'll change the multiplier to 16 which is a must for anyone with that CPU, reaching 3.2GHz.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is what I'm interested in so far.

Option 1

AMD Phenom II X3 720
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 (8-8-8-21)
Corsair 400CX power supply
Samsung 22x DVD Burner
Kingston USB 2.0 Scandisk reader
Cyberpower 3600J surge protector
OCZ Vertex 30GB SATA II MLC SSD
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case

Total (including tax + shipping): $696.95

---

Option 2

Intel E5200
Gigabyte G31 mATX
G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 800 (5-5-5-15)
Corsair 400CX power supply
Samsung 22x DVD Burner
Kingston USB 2.0 Scandisk reader
Cyberpower 3600J surge protector
OCZ Vertex 30GB SATA II MLC SSD
Coolermaster Centurion 5 case

Total (including tax + shipping): $535.34

From what I understand (not much), an SSD will make the largest difference in hardware for my computer usage. The E5200 seems fast enough to the point that any faster wouldn't yield any real world benefit. The G31 onboard video is enough, right?

Will there be any difference between option 1 and 2 for the type of applications I'm running? I'll have Quickbooks, Excel, Outlook, and Firefox open at once (about 10 windows avg.). If I could save $160, that would be great, especially if the difference won't be noticed in the real world.

I'm also open to any other hardware suggestions. Thanks!

logainofhades

Titan
You could go with the PH ii 550BE and get a bit better performance over the E5200. I avoid Asus boards. Their customer support is horrible. I have had great experience with biostar though and am very happy with my current board. I ordered the AM3 version for a buddy of mine and he loves it. Also remember no upgrades for S775 and down the road replacement parts might be harder to get should you need them. Much like trying to get say S939 parts today. Damn near impossible unless you go to like ebay or find some obscure site nobody has heard of. AM3 at least you will not have this problem for awhile since it is the latest socket from AMD.

You can save about $45 on the AMD build with these components...

CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
New one which will offer very good performance...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103680

Change the case and PSU to this... - Enough for your needs...
Antec NSK 4480B II Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel for chassis durability Computer Case EarthWatts 380W Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129060

You can even save more by going with this mobo...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157161

It is the AM3 flavour of this mobo...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157157

I like GKay's suggestions, although with all those apps open the extra core of the 720BE would probably help (and it's only another $30). I also agree with IH8U's advice to get a standard HDD.
In my experience, the low-end Coolermaster cases like the Centurion have ALL had quality and/or design issues, like untapped screw-holes, misalignment, and unreliable tool-free mounts. The bottom-dollar Rosewill cases are similar inside in almost every way, but have not had the quality issues. They're not tool-free, which means you won't need to worry about your hard drive shaking loose if you have to ship it. None include mobo speakers, so if there isn't one on the mobo you choose, you might want to check out the little piezo speakers. I found some online somewhere and bought half a dozen, but don't remember where.

TRENDING THREADS