Quad showing only 2 cores after psu failure?

remainz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
Hi :bounce:

I am wondering how I can tell if my cpu or / and motherboard are damaged?

I dont know where to start but my lovely machine has gone crazy!

Basically it is having major random problems after a psu failure that i dont know how long had been going on for.
Most of the time it shows only a count of 2 cpus at boot and will only work with 2 dimms of ram after I recently installed 8gb.
It was an Antec 500 watt psu that came with a silent case and Ive only had it a year. But I think the psu fan died causing no end of trouble.

Im also getting random glitching sound in my premiere projects all of a sudden that are rendered into exported projects so I cant finish the project Im in the middle of. And my blu ray burner also causes it to not boot if plugged in. So many wierd problems.

If you know how I can find out whats wrong please help? So that I dont have to buy a whole new pc.

thanks a million
joe remainz :??: :sarcastic: ;) :sleep: :hello: :cry:

remainz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I have already replaced the psu as the fan had stopped spinning and i needed it up and running straight away. It was an Antec Sonata III case ea500 psu less than a year old. I was not overclocking although i have recently upgraded to 8gb of ocz pc2 800 from 4 dimms of 4gb generic 1066.

My problem is now that my Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping is only showing 2 cores in bios and it also wont boot if i have my blu ray is attach or I have more than 2 dimms ram.

Motherboard is Asus P5K-E

Im guessing that the psu failure killed something on the mb but im hoping the cpu is still ok.

Damn Antec!

thanks
joe remainz

The EA500 is a decent PSU. You could have done far worse. Anything can fail.

It does sound like you have board problems. Check the capacitors on the board to see if any are blown or bulging.

remainz

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
OK thanks a lot for your time
my less than year old dell laptop hard drive died this morning too
I'm so jinxed

:(

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
It depends on if the bios or cpuz tells you. CPUZ may be malfunctioning but the BIOS wouldn't be. If the BIOS tells you then you are screwed. Ultimately sounds like a bad proc or bad mobo.