Question about the GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

dnabb05

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have heard some people say that a bigger graphics card, ATI 4850+, would block some of the SATA ports, but it looks quite big enough to avoid that problem occuring. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I've read what you have and when I look at the length of that ATI card I can see how at least one SATA port could be blocked. When you consider the thickness of the ATI card, perhaps two more. I couldn't find the dimensions of the ATI card anywhere. I'm comparing the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H and full ATX sized GA-MA785G-UD3H. One advantage to the full ATX is the PCI Express 16 x4 slot rather than the PCI Express x16 slot is in the way of the SATA ports. So if you only put a single ATI crossfire card in, you won't block anything. Of course, it seems you can't ever add a 2nd ATI card to the micro-ATX board. Hope this helps a bit.

piranhamoose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
first off, you can use 90 degree angled sata connectors and it will tuck in nicely under the gpu. that solves the problem of sata ports being blocked, as i have done this with my 9800gtx+ on a dell motherboard.

Im thinking about buying this motherboard, but one potential problem comes to mind with installing my 9800gtx+. the southbridge of this motherboard looks a bit too elevated and might prevent the gpu from seating snuggly in the pci slot. is it? or is it just the way it looks in the pics?

has this posed a problem for anyone with a gpu such as a 9800gtx?