Overclocking i5-760 using MSI p55 gd80 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

letterkilled

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
hello.
so i found this site a few weeks ago and its helped out tremendously. i have been trying to research everything i can on overclocking. and i came across an older post that had alot of info about overclocking the i5's. the one trouble i had with it was he was using a different MOBO then i was. and when i went into the bios just to look around and plan it all out i found out that my bios was a lil different. im running the the i5-760 on a MSI p55 gd80 mobo. now its been a while since i looked this stuff up and i could have sworn that if you OC your cpu, you had to OC your RAM as well. if so then the type of ram i have is cosair xms3 ddr3 4gb 1600MHz.

im not looking for a crazy overclock. just around 3.6GHz to 3.8GHz. i know this is pretty noob of me, but id rather learn how to do it through bios instead of the lame OC genie button that comes with the motherboard. any information would be awesome. im not asking you to hold my hand. but....ok well yes. im asking to you hold my hand and help me what to do. thanks for you time and i hope to hear from you guys soon

LK

As you increase the FSB, the RAM frequency will increase. If it gets high enough the RAM becomes unstable you may have to drop the RAM multiplier to knock the frequency back down. You should be able to under-volt the CPU to 1.1 and still overclock an i5 760 to over 3GHz. With no voltage change you may well be able to hit your desired 3.6. Another thought is to only overclock to 3.2-3.4 and leave turbo on so the CPU will burst cores up on its own when they all are not in use.

Ram multipliers are 6, 8, and 10. So to get 1600mhz RAM you need a base clock of 160, 200, or 266. 266 is much higher than I've ever seen a P55 board work at.

The thing is, your 1600mhz RAM has timings associated with that, probably CL8 or CL9. Let's go with 8 since that's what mine is... You can run the RAM at 1400mhz CL7 or 1800mhz CL9 and get basically the same performance. It's a balance between RAM speed and RAM latency. I'm running mine at 1416mhz CL7, and it's very good.

The simplest way, like abswindows7 said, is just 160 base clock. I found with both an MSI P55GD65 and an ASUS P7P55D Pro mobo, for 160 base clock leaving voltages on auto was fine, temps were good. You might want to try manually setting voltages just to see if you can drop them and the temps a but. Just make sure you set the RAM timings and voltage to what it should be (1.65V probably)

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005

I was just looking at your cupz validation. Is that 4.25 stable/constant or are you talking turbo? And, are you using water to get there or is the low voltage on these just allowing it on air? Mine gets a little shakey above 4.

That's with turbo, 177base clock at 24x on single thread. So, 4 core is 3.7ghz.

I'm on air, using a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and temps are 70C max

I did 4ghz easy, but I also found it tough to go higher. Decided it wasn't worth the trouble so went back to my turbo OC. I think I could do 180 base clock but honestly, I'm quite happy with the current performance. Even when I encode video it does like 250fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.