ASUS M4A79XTD EVO vs GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Gizzud

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
I've had both. In fact 2 Gigabyte boards and both failed on a mild overclock. The PC just turned instant off and would not respond again. The exact same thing happened with the second Gigabyte board. I had both replaced, the second one with the Asus board and all on a X3 720. The Asus is working well with a little more potential for overclocking - I think it's more stable at the higher frequencies, up to 3.7.

I've never had any problems with Gigabyte boards before; then 2 in one month. I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar...?

Chers,

Mick>

G

Hmm basically both are designed for AM3 CPUs, althought still supporting C2 and AM2. Best to do is to go with AM3 C3 revision. That might be one of the reasons you got problems 720 on them, Gizzud.

Gizzud

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
Hmm basically both are designed for AM3 CPUs, althought still supporting C2 and AM2. Best to do is to go with AM3 C3 revision. That might be one of the reasons you got problems 720 on them, Gizzud.

My CPU is a C3 - both Gigabyte boards posted okay and ran for a while with no probs, but then died and showed no signs of life after. I think it was probably a board power component failure. Both boards failed on overclock -I was running at around 3.5GHz and 1.5 V at the time - not too drastic and they should have been up for that. The Asus board has been faultless for several weeks under the same conditions.

My system:
750W PSU
AMD Phenom II 720 x3 (all four core released okay - runs Crysis for hours!)
Spire Thermax II - runs at 3.5GHz on Prime 95 at 41*C, idle at 30*C
4Gig Geil dual 1660 DDR3 memory (8-8-8-24)
GTX 260 graphics

I would like to add that I have had Gigabyte boards in the past that have all performed faultlessly, some for years (and some despite considerable abuse...). I was very surprised at the two boards failing with what seemed like the same fault and wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Cheers,
Mick.

Gizzud

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009

See the deliberate mistake on my previous post - I am using a x4 965 C3 now, not the x3 720 which I was using earlier.

I am now running the 125W processor with the Asus M4A79XTD Evo and 4Gig OCZ Black Edition memory. The system is rock stable 3920 and 1.45V with the memory clocked at over 1700 and on 7-7-7-24. The Asus board is faultless and the BIOS has plenty of options. All the components seem to run well together.

I have used several Gigabyte boards in the past, which also been excellent - I have either been unliucky or, more likely, there has been some conflict with components - I never did feel to sure of the Geil on an AMD setup...

Cheers,
Mick.