Goodby Comcast Digital Cable Again

Last response: in Home Theatre
October 6, 2004 9:39:27 PM

I'm retired and have been getting a promotional rate allowing me to afford
digital. 6 mo ago they at first said I could no longer get the promotion and
I would have to return the box myself or be charged for its removal. After
I returned the box I got a call saying I could still have the promotion and
they came out and reinstalled the box. I was told to call again in 6 mo. to
get the promotion again. This time I called and the person for the
extension was no longer with the company and back to back promotions were
not permitted. For the $48/mo I'll be paying for Standard Cable maybe I can
get more with satellite.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:24:06 PM

"Patrick Casher" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
| I'm retired and have been getting a promotional rate allowing me to afford
| digital. 6 mo ago they at first said I could no longer get the promotion and
| I would have to return the box myself or be charged for its removal. After
| I returned the box I got a call saying I could still have the promotion and
| they came out and reinstalled the box. I was told to call again in 6 mo. to
| get the promotion again. This time I called and the person for the
| extension was no longer with the company and back to back promotions were
| not permitted. For the $48/mo I'll be paying for Standard Cable maybe I can
| get more with satellite.

There are a handful of companies just dying to get that $48/mo out of you. There
are various promotions which usually include installation, but you have to sign
a contract guaranteeing that they'll receive that $XX/mo from you ($XX because
the promotional price will expire long before your contract does. In addition,
prices are subject to change at any time ... and they've never gone down).

Research your options, and if you find something you're willing to try, call the
cable company and tell them that you're dropping them in favor of FTA sattelite
(free to air -- free tv). It's amazing how they will suddenly be willing to
negotiate prices.

Any sattelite installation will require an unobstructed view south (in the
northern hemisphere) and east (or west) as well as up, depending on your
location so you might want to be sure that sattelite is an option for you, and
that you can install a dish big enough to recieve what interests you. If you
have the time, inclination and space for a huge dish, you'd be amazed what you
can get free ... and a lot of those channels you enjoy at $48/mo can be
purchased much cheaper.

--
CWC