Computer Shutting Down After 30 Seconds

jshpik1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
I've had this computer for awhile gradually replacing components.

Awhile back I changed out the motherboard. The power supply began to run extremely hot before it just quit. I changed out the power supply, now all of the components felt much hotter than they were previously, but the system worked, perhaps slower than before with the hardware that's in it but it worked.

The mother board currently in use is ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe. Is it possible for something to be wrong with the mother board which would cause other components to over heat?

I recently bought a water cooling unit to cool the cpu... what's funny is that the factory fan would cool it better than the water cooling... With water cooling it only stays on for 30 seconds almost like I'm trying to turn it on without a cooling unit attached. The pump which is on the cpu is also felt hot to the touch... not cool at all. I tested it while it was connected to the power supply, but not on the cpu yet to check for leaks.

What could be the problem and how to I diagnose it to make sure? Thanks.

Did clean the CPU and install new thermal paste according to the manufacturers directions?

If you bought a water cooling kit, it would not be surprising to see higher temps. Good water cooling requires careful research and a fairly significant amount of cash.

Did you get a quality PSU?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Thoroughly clean the cpu and re-apply thermal grease,and reseat the water block.If the problem still persists,then I would check the level of coolant to make sure there is an adequit amount.Too little and the pump won't move it very well and you'll have all kinds of air bubbles.May I recommend with water cooling,that you install a reservoir so that the level can be checked and topped off if needed.Goodluck.

Dahak

ASUS P5N-D
C2D E8500 STOCK
ZALMAN 9500 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP PRO

jshpik1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
Did clean the CPU and install new thermal paste according to the manufacturers directions?

Yes.

Good water cooling requires careful research and a fairly significant amount of cash.

The only reason I bought this one is because it has decent reviews online from other users.

Too little and the pump won't move it very well and you'll have all kinds of air bubbles

It comes with a resevoir, and it's full.

I've always had heating issues with this computer since changing out the motherboard, would a short circuit or an electrical problem with the case cause this? It seems like all components are running hotter than they did with the other mother board. Is the pump that's sitting on the cpu supposed to generate heat? Thanks.

You haven't given us any idea of your motherboard, case, etc.

Poor voltage regulation on the board could cause issues.
A poorly ventilated case combined with a hotter running chipset could make all your components warmer.

A cheap PSU could also contribute a great deal to ambient case temps.