Sign in with
Your question

Cooling a laptop

Last response: in Overclocking
October 5, 2010 8:47:46 PM

Hi
i have a question
why in these home made laptop coolers the fans are blowing into the laptop?
they should suck the air no? like the fan in a big home pc... the cpu fan is sucking the hot air not blowing it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0W1mjfhX_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNL4__6QUY

More about : cooling laptop

a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2010 10:15:37 PM

Hot air rises. Dont fight the laws of physics.

They pull cool air from the bottom which blows against the bottom of the case to cool the battery. They do not push air inside or pull air out of the laptop itself. The Laptop has fans that suck air in one side and out another already. Laptop cooling problems are generally from the battery which is almost always on the bottom.
m
l
October 6, 2010 4:30:51 PM

the fan system inside laptop suck HOT from the cooper line and throw it outside the laptop. a cooler take fresh air under and push it in the laptop hole under it and it cooldown a lil bit the cooper line . so the system fan dont have to run at full always to get it at the same temp

i always laught @ ppl who try to make laptop cooler with plywood and 120/80mm fan. its not cheaper .. sure if you got the electric adaptor already and the fan ok ... but i paid 20$ on ncix for my thermaltake massive23 cooler. and my G50VT-X5 with a X9100 is 15c cooler at full load, but strangely when idle, if i start the cooler, my temp raise from 42-43(cooler off) to 47-48.
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:58:52 PM

HTDuro said:
the fan system inside laptop suck HOT from the cooper line and throw it outside the laptop. a cooler take fresh air under and push it in the laptop hole under it and it cooldown a lil bit the cooper line . so the system fan dont have to run at full always to get it at the same temp

i always laught @ ppl who try to make laptop cooler with plywood and 120/80mm fan. its not cheaper .. sure if you got the electric adaptor already and the fan ok ... but i paid 20$ on ncix for my thermaltake massive23 cooler. and my G50VT-X5 with a X9100 is 15c cooler at full load, but strangely when idle, if i start the cooler, my temp raise from 42-43(cooler off) to 47-48.

hi this problem is not unique if you are running these fans directly from your MoBo or are using USB to power them. the MoBO aux fan power and the USB ports both will add anywhere from 4* to 10* to your overall system temp so the fan and the power running it cancel each other out. If You are familiar with electrical current and wiring(if not however, DO NOT try this) i would suggest wiring your fans directly with AC110 to DC adapters appropriate to the power needs of your fan. and here's the kicker....put the fan power source on ANOTHER SURGE PROTECTOR different than your comp dont forget this part trust me, i did once ,....only once (outside power surge and went right through the fans pumped thier power and cooked my machine...in the event you have a sensor on these fans you may run that sensor wire(it is usually green) to the sensor input on your MoBo., but that is kinda frivolous as those fans using an outside power source will provide enough cooling to stop global warming(take that al gore) good luck.OH and for those with a Lappy...simple over heating solution......if you are docked or are not using the battery ..take it out of your machine........
m
l
!