bigbosshogg

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I was just wondering if I build and i7 Intel machine with an Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard and an Antec 900 case... what would be the best CPU HSF to get? Would I still be able to put a fan in the door?

About the fan in the door: with the Noctua you can't have the side fan, the Antec 900 is just not wide enough for that. I'm guessing it's the same for any good cooler because the good ones are always big. Read this Newegg review:

Pros: Much easier installation than I anticipated. Went right in on GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 in Antec 900 case.

Amazing cooling on overclocked i920. The paste that comes with it is first class. You don't need anything else.

The fins on the sink are spaced far enough apart that they don't easily get clogged with accumulated dust. This is majorly good!!

This is a very well designed, high quality unit. The included fans are also very high quality.

Cons: Half of the lower fan clips were a challenge to clip on due to cramped quarters.

The side fan on the Antec 900 does not fit. To remove it, you must remove the whole clear panel. Not good, unless you don't care if the side of your computer is open.

Other Thoughts: Do your pricing homework.

The fans are actually notched to reduce "whine" and turbulence down to nothing.

Very very quiet without using the optional noise reduction circuits that plug in. At full-speed, the fans spin at 1340rpm on my board, and are quieter than the Antec 900 case fans set on low. (Extremely quiet!)

Maybe you should consider a wider case. How about the NZXT Tempest, do you like that one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047&Tpk=NZXt Tempest

bigbosshogg

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I'm really only looking at a mild overclocking situation atm... Would the Xigmatek require or does it include a backplate for mounting? Oh, and I already own the Antec 900 case...

Kitteld3291

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I have the Antec 1200 and went with the Noctua C-12. It fits in the case very nicely and is moderatly better than the stock intel cooler. For about the same price you could get the Noctua U-12 which is vastly better according to this review:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/880/11/

Only drawback is that Noctua doesn't come with the adaptor for I7. You have to email the company, then they will send you one for free.

Just to clarify: don't get the HDT-S1283 - that one won't work on LGA1366 (unless you buy a mounting plate separately). I only mentioned it because we know it fits in the Antec 900, and since it's the same size it means the other will fit too.