Sign in with
Your question

AMD "Bulldozer" to be on AM3? Anyone know?

Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2009 5:02:08 PM

:whistle:  Or will it require AM4 or something like that? Maybe there's not enough info to go around...

More about : amd bulldozer am3

a b à CPUs
June 4, 2009 5:21:59 PM

i dont see why it would be am4 to be honest. one of the best things about amd right now is rigid sockets.
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2009 5:26:24 PM

Chronobodi said:
:whistle:  Or will it require AM4 or something like that? Maybe there's not enough info to go around...

IIRC, Bulldozer version 2 is supposed to be 'fusion' or integrated with an onboard GPU, so I'd bet there will be a socket change required.
Related resources
June 4, 2009 5:29:09 PM

there will probably be a socket change since the architecture is completely different.
June 4, 2009 6:09:25 PM

Yea... but doesn't AMD does that whole "backward compatibly" thing? It cannot be like the I7 scenario where you are forced to get a new mobo.

and, isn't the onboard GPU not as powerful as a dedicated one anyway? They could make a cheaper version of that, one without the fusion thing into it.
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2009 8:10:13 PM

either way i would not worry about it.
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2009 8:20:03 PM

Chronobodi said:
Yea... but doesn't AMD does that whole "backward compatibly" thing? It cannot be like the I7 scenario where you are forced to get a new mobo.

and, isn't the onboard GPU not as powerful as a dedicated one anyway? They could make a cheaper version of that, one without the fusion thing into it.

Yes, but this is supposed to be a completely new architecture. If they stick the GPU (not IGP, but full-blown GPU from what I've read) on the same die, then the GPU is gonna need access to some fast video memory - I wouldn't think system DDR3 would cut it but who knows?

IIRC the original Bulldozer (the one on the 2006 or maybe 2007 roadmaps, which disappeared late 2007) was just supposed to be a wider version of k8 arch - more decoders, etc. BD2 is the one with the 'fusion' stuff.
June 4, 2009 10:43:12 PM

I doubt tha it would be AM3 although amd is usually good about making sure that there is some degree of backwards compatibility but the bulldozer is a completely new architecture and manufacturing process with completely new features i really doubt that it would work on an am3 platform but then again you never know they might figure a way to make it work
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2009 12:21:11 AM

The goal is for Bulldozer to be compatible with existing AM3 boards. All they should need is a BIOS updates. They won't work with AM2 boards though since bulldozer CPUs will only have a DDR3 controller and thus cannot work with the DDR2 memory used by AM2+/AM2 boards.
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2009 12:26:12 AM

rooseveltdon, the "Microsoft:resistance is futile." made my day, lol
June 5, 2009 5:28:30 AM

BadTrip said:
rooseveltdon, the "Microsoft:resistance is futile." made my day, lol

lol glad it did
April 9, 2010 5:56:59 PM

the way i see it, the AM3 socket can receive the "fusion-less" version of it (no GPU on die) and thus keep in tradition of backward compatibility. But the fusion version won't.

Besides, discrete GPUS often are always better than any IGP solution.
April 9, 2010 9:16:08 PM

ChronoBodi, your probably correct but I think AMD will focus on the AM4 CPUs rather than the AM3 CPUs when Bulldozer is released. It's therefore better to get a AM4 motherboard for better ugradability.
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2010 9:20:38 PM

It better, considering sandy bridge is going to be on both of Intel's. If it isn't then AM3 = Fail, but I'm sure it will be.
April 9, 2010 11:23:24 PM

Last I heard there was going to be a revision (AM3r2), and that Bulldozer would go into AM3, but it'd be like putting the current X4's into AM2+ boards, you lose a little HT or something.
April 9, 2010 11:57:57 PM

i'm fine with that, seems a better upgrade option to go for the AM3 bulldozer.
April 15, 2010 6:18:52 AM

Dekasav said:
Last I heard there was going to be a revision (AM3r2), and that Bulldozer would go into AM3, but it'd be like putting the current X4's into AM2+ boards, you lose a little HT or something.

i think may be bulldozer will be compatible with am3.but still not very sure.

in the roadmap of amd rweleased in nov,2009 you can see they have given am3 socket for bulldozer.its available in the amd official site(may be they decided to continue with am3)

but you can see that in amd roadmap of sep,2009 its given am3r2 for bulldozer.

its only a guess.but its am3 in the new roadmap.so may be theres hope..
but may be with time pci express 3 may also be there in new motherboards.
April 15, 2010 7:05:36 AM

fazers_on_stun said:
IIRC, Bulldozer version 2 is supposed to be 'fusion' or integrated with an onboard GPU, so I'd bet there will be a socket change required.

Maybe not. Fusion is just a different architecture. The bulldozer name isn't the architecture code name. It is the CPU codename. There will also be a low end Fusion based CPU for handheld devices and netbooks.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2010 10:34:58 AM

megamanx00 said:
The goal is for Bulldozer to be compatible with existing AM3 boards. All they should need is a BIOS updates. They won't work with AM2 boards though since bulldozer CPUs will only have a DDR3 controller and thus cannot work with the DDR2 memory used by AM2+/AM2 boards.

to the best of my knowledge, AMD has made no such announcement.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2010 10:40:51 AM

Chronobodi said:
the way i see it, the AM3 socket can receive the "fusion-less" version of it (no GPU on die) and thus keep in tradition of backward compatibility. But the fusion version won't.

Besides, discrete GPUS often are always better than any IGP solution.

Fusion was already on the table when am2+ and am3 were released. I would be surprised if they dont support fusion in some form.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2010 10:43:29 AM

mojito_619 said:
ChronoBodi, your probably correct but I think AMD will focus on the AM4 CPUs rather than the AM3 CPUs when Bulldozer is released. It's therefore better to get a AM4 motherboard for better ugradability.

AM4 will be DDR4 support. The number is the memory type. Thats why there was an AM2+
May 1, 2010 3:09:02 AM

I don't think Bulldozer will be in a AM3, it will use quad-channel memory and other things AM3 boards doesn't support and it wil be better against Intel if change all architecture by a low cost like always :love: 
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 3:17:28 AM

Chronobodi said:

The number represents the Memory type, not cpu support. AM2 and AM2+ are DDR 2. AM3 is DDR 3. AM4 will be DDR4 support. If there is another socket before DDR4, it will likely be AM3+.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 3:17:51 AM

megamanx00 said:

Says who? There is no reason to believe Bulldozer cannot DDR2.
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2010 3:20:47 AM

mojito_619 said:

DDR 4 will not exist when bulldozer comes out. Therefore no AM4. Besides, DDR 3 was out for 3 or 4 years before AMD got onboard.
June 21, 2010 8:35:33 AM

Very interesting topic
I hate Intel with LGA 775, LGA 1155, LGA 1156, LGA 1366
I bought a Asus P6T, brand new architecture, LGA 1366. Now that card has no future, only a year and a half later, since Sandy is coming

AMD on the other hand, allows you to run 6 cores for $200 on an old AM2 motherboard

So, I would like to know, if I buy AM3 now, can I believe that this company has a 'goal' or 'tradition' of trying to make users run the latest processors on old motherboards?

I know it's not a good idea to run a fast 6 core processor with old ram, but hey, at least they don't force you to have a different chipset.

I don't like Intel introducing Intel Core i7 and Intel Core i5, and they are not compatible with each other.

AmD on the other hand allows AM3 processor to run on an AM2 motherboard that was released YEARS ago

Intel released Core i7 920, 6 months down the road, they release Core i5, and that requires a new motherboard

So if you want to buy the cheap Core i5 first, then make sure you have some extra $200 to buy a new mobo for the Core i7 (if you want to upgrade to Core i7)

To me, it's all business. Pay an expensive mobo + CPU for the upgrade, or stay using our old processor :) 

Anyway, does anybody knows if AMD will be this insanely demanding about motherboards upgrades like Intel is?

I really want to switch to AMD now, since it gives me more 'bang for the buck"

The $300 processor with 6 cores and overclocking capabilities of 4.1 Ghz seems pretty sweet, and right now, it's the best 'bang for the buck'

One last question, what motherboard manufacturer is better in terms of BIOS updates?
Gigabyte or Asus?

What was the first company to release a BIOS update to allow AM3 processors to run on AM2 motherboards?
June 21, 2010 3:00:13 PM

please see this thread

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=284190&page=1&p=2&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0"e_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

like others have said there is no guarantee, but it is highly likely that the 32nm CPU without the GPU will be supported on the AM3 socket but if you want the onboard you will need AM3+ (AM3r2) which i think will likely support 3 or 4 channel DDR3 support.
June 24, 2010 4:56:46 AM

anyone know when we can expect some more news on this subject?
June 25, 2010 11:14:35 PM

FALC0N said:
DDR 4 will not exist when bulldozer comes out. Therefore no AM4. Besides, DDR 3 was out for 3 or 4 years before AMD got onboard.

Yeah, DDR4 comes out in 2012. Therefore not much will change in the next few years.
July 1, 2010 12:01:42 AM

rafarataneneces said:
Very interesting topic
I hate Intel with LGA 775, LGA 1155, LGA 1156, LGA 1366
I bought a Asus P6T, brand new architecture, LGA 1366. Now that card has no future, only a year and a half later, since Sandy is coming

AMD on the other hand, allows you to run 6 cores for $200 on an old AM2 motherboard

So, I would like to know, if I buy AM3 now, can I believe that this company has a 'goal' or 'tradition' of trying to make users run the latest processors on old motherboards?

I know it's not a good idea to run a fast 6 core processor with old ram, but hey, at least they don't force you to have a different chipset.

I don't like Intel introducing Intel Core i7 and Intel Core i5, and they are not compatible with each other.

AmD on the other hand allows AM3 processor to run on an AM2 motherboard that was released YEARS ago

Intel released Core i7 920, 6 months down the road, they release Core i5, and that requires a new motherboard

So if you want to buy the cheap Core i5 first, then make sure you have some extra $200 to buy a new mobo for the Core i7 (if you want to upgrade to Core i7)

To me, it's all business. Pay an expensive mobo + CPU for the upgrade, or stay using our old processor :) 

Anyway, does anybody knows if AMD will be this insanely demanding about motherboards upgrades like Intel is?

I really want to switch to AMD now, since it gives me more 'bang for the buck"

The $300 processor with 6 cores and overclocking capabilities of 4.1 Ghz seems pretty sweet, and right now, it's the best 'bang for the buck'

One last question, what motherboard manufacturer is better in terms of BIOS updates?
Gigabyte or Asus?

What was the first company to release a BIOS update to allow AM3 processors to run on AM2 motherboards?

It depends honestly, with the way AMD has been recently I could not see them forcing you to upgrade sockets in order to use their newest processor. But there was that period of rapid change when they introduced the athlon 64 where they went from socket 754 to socket 939 and finally to socket AM2. Anyone with a 754 or 939 chip was screwed when it came to AM2, but I would say that they are definitely better than Intel in that regard. They kept the 462 socket around for some 3 or 4 years and let you go from a classic athlon 500 to an Athlon XP 3200+ in the same motherboard with the right chipset. I think they want to return to stable sockets like that, it saves in headaches and development and promotes brand loyalty, win win right? lol
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 12:27:17 AM

why is everybody saying am4??? anybody see a patern, am2, am2+, am3, ____, if its anything new its "am3+" which might be am3r2. and ddr4 has nothing to do with this, quad channel memory, MAYBE, ddr4, not out till atleast 2 years from now.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 12:50:10 AM

well regardless, if i go this route i will be replacing my current board and processor (PII X4 810 + M4A78-E + 8 GB DDR2) with a new board (more than likely AM3+ or AM3r2, whatever they call it) and get 16GB of memory (to this who say this is too much, i have run out with some of the apps i write/test with multiple VM's)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 12:57:41 AM

if things go how they seem, this might beat 980x. if it beats 980x, then it might be $1000+, and that just spoils all the fun. we cant say, predict, or do anything until pricing and benchmarks come out, so we might as well wait till then. only thing that matters is that a version of bull dozer is going on am3, so dont worry about am3 not being future proof.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 1:14:36 AM

Went through same decision as OP, what to do, x58 £160 and i7 930 £230, tri channel memory. or 890fx (Asus Crosshairs £166) and Phenom II x6 1055t (£165) and Dual Channel Memory!

I went AMD after Skt 478 then LGA 775. P55H55 LGA 1156 not good enough in PCI Lanes and My goal of Tri Crossfire with 3 HD5850 would be poor, and Upgrade path for lower i5 rubbish with Sandy Bridge, i7 1366 is only true decent enthusiast Intel choice, but costs too much against x6 Performance!

I do hope there will be Bulldozer compatibility with AM£ as I have just bought 890FX Board. But if there is not oh well, spent less than the Intel Alternative that has just as unsure future with upgrades.

All I can say is the 1055t overclocks like a beauty, running 3.8ghz as default, with turbo still switched on clocking turbo on 3 cores at 4.3ghz. Runs cool enough with big air cooling, Perfect in every way

Yes Intel is faster and Overclocks well, But I Have 6 Cores at 3.8Ghz for around £130 less than Similar Performance Intel system (Mind you that Intel CPU only needs 4 cores for same performance)

Where AMD x6 really shines is in Content creation, Handbrake conversions have never ever been so fast ever!!!

Dont worry too much, get fast enough system for a couple of years, that will do what you want, and see what the future brings 24-30 months down the line!
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 1:17:41 AM

i agree with this, get am3, lower end cpu (555, 955, 1055) wait till bd, upgrade if its good, live with your "lower end" cpu until bd is cheaper, or something good is out.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 1:30:41 AM

ares1214 said:
i agree with this, get am3, lower end cpu (555, 955, 1055) wait till bd, upgrade if its good, live with your "lower end" cpu until bd is cheaper, or something good is out.

So your overall platform costs are going to be more than a Intel build, because your planning on buying at least two cpu's ? And your suggesting buying a motherboard for a future cpu, that you really don't know much about, except maybe core count ?
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 1:38:05 AM

a version of bulldozer is going on am3 is pretty much a given, that we are pretty sure about. and lets see intel is $290+$299+$170, amd is $160+$199+$100...i think we have some room to work with. and thats not fair, u arent thinking to the future, why buy the i7 when u will just need a new mobo when 1155 and 1365 come out, so add some to the intel one too.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:16:10 AM

though keep in mind, just because intel is releasing a new set of processors on a new socket, it doesn't mean the old ones are horrible now, the current LGA1366 will hold up in games just fine for quite a while

i thought about getting an AMD 6 core, but why get that and then jump to Bulldozer which i may have to switch to a AM3 board for (mine is AM2+), i'll just wait and build a new system maybe next April or so (with 2 x 4870's i think i am fine)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:21:25 AM

very true, the i7 lineup will stay strong for years to come. however, lets think, over the course of the future:

i7: you spend $290 on the i7, 300 on the mobo, $170 on the ram. socket dies, but ur happy with i7 for a while. you then spend $xxx amount on new mobo, $xxx amount on cpu (might need another x in there knowing intel :lol:  )

am3: you spend $100-200 on the cpu now, along with $170 on the mobo, and $100 on the ram. then u put in the bull dozer and be happy for a while.

the am3 path will save you money. and even if bd isnt good enough, or is too good and costs too much, then u still have an extremely capable cpu in the 955.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:26:09 AM

oh definitely i agree, but i also have a AM2+ board (has an equiv. AM3) and it might not work with bulldozer (depends on DDR2 controller and BIOS update)

but by then they will probably have new mobo's, cpu's, and gpus and i can get a whole new platform

and btw, the ram for me won't be $100, more like $400-500 ( for some things i need 16GB)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:32:01 AM

o wow. and yeah, bd is not looking to be compatible with am2+, looks like ddr2 and am2+ dies here. and just 16 gigs of ram? psh, come on, thats nothing, i get that in my frosted flakes cereal box. although sometimes its a 512 gig ssd, it changes every once in a while :lol: 
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:34:14 AM

i know, and its why i have to push my self not to upgrade my cpu, though the sad thing is i thought my old gaming board ASUS was never going to get Phenom II support (M2N-SLI Deluxe) and now it does, though i did get $560 for that system from a friend
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 2:56:57 AM

yeah, it all comes down to who can wait till bd, and hope you dont get disappointed.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 3:01:13 AM

well, i think i should be fine for now (i can max out BF:BC2 and get 45+ fps), and if BD is a disappointment i can always go Sandy Bridge (though i would prefer to stay AMD if possible)

though the other way this could go is if AMD releases BD and it kicks ass, it will be priced up towards the intels and the intels would be up there for a while too making it expensive to make a good computer for cheap (oh i love athlon II's)
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 3:08:26 AM

yeah, the entire world economy hangs in the balance of bulldozer :lol: 
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 3:09:14 AM

you have no idea, if it tanks everyone will have to use athlon II and phenom II processors, OH NO!!!!
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 3:14:02 AM

yeah, amd either better get this thing good, or get it cheap. hopefull they release the $1000+ one to take the performance crown, and the underclocked 300-400$ version for the mere mortals.
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2010 3:16:58 AM

well, i don't mind cheap for a gaming computer since its fine for that, like when i bought my computer spend $300/$300/$200 or $170/$130/$70 for cpu/mobo/mem (yeah, 4x2GB of memory for $70) at the time and for gaming it works just as well
July 1, 2010 8:44:23 AM

Will the bulldozers outperform the Core i7's? I wonder how Intel's "Sandy Bridge" processors will fare up against AMD's octo-core chips.
July 1, 2010 8:53:22 AM

taken from Fudzilla

This is something we've already written about, as the first time we reported about this new socket was back in November 2009 here. This time around, however, we've got a confirmation that this is the way to go.

The new CPU uses a modified socket AM3 r2, and its still not clear if this socket is completely compatible with the existing AM3 socket. Something must have changed as AMD 990 chipset is also in the works, despite some early reports that AMD 890GX /GX chipsets will support the new Bulldozer core.

Let me remind you that Bulldozer is a highly anticipated 32nm quad or eight core (six should also be possible), 8MB L3 cache, DDR3 1866 support and the first CPU to come with this core is codenamed Zambezi.

The Zambezi CPU fits in Scorpius platform and it is all planned for some point in 2011, but we don't know which one as of yet.
!